Rumble Strip Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumble Strip Noise

I am getting the "rumble strip noise" at very low speeds, it is very loud and shakes the car badly. I forget what that noise means...does anyone remember?
    Thanks...good thing I have a 4r70w waiting in the wings...lol...but if I can fix this then I might, or is there a band-aid type of repair?
    The sucky thing is I'm not sure I want to change the fluid again because it's at the point where if I change it it slips, just too many miles.
    Any help would be great. Thanks
    -mercenvy
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Well there can be several causes, the most common is the 1-2 accumulator letting fluid past the seals. Another is the torque converter. I replaced my 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons and flushed with mercon V and that seemed to help a good deal. I think I'm gonna put some friction modifier in as well. Hope this helps.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I can hear a rumble-strip type noise in my dad's car at around 50-55MPH, but I think it's just because the tires are worn out.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Tranny converter shudder, old fluid, accumulator wear, bearings in the rear end, all kinda things can cause it, but Im betting tranny fluid first.

Comment

when was it changed last and whats the odo say?

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
          2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Originally posted by merc6
            when was it changed last and whats the odo say?
            It's been about 30k miles(23k) since I last changed it, and the odo says
            253k +. I'm going to just live with it until I swap the 4r70w in.
            Thanks guys for your responses.

Comment

Are the lug nuts tight?
              2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

are you randomly driving over rumble strips? j/k

change the tranny fluid/filter. if that don't fix her, it'll probably take more to fix than you will want to put in her.

2000 HPP Mods
                15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Bigjohn. Maybe I'll change it one last time. Just a shame since the thing's coming out soon anyway....

Comment

how soon is soon? like 20 miles after the fluid swap or 20 weeks after fluid swap?

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                    2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Originally posted by merc6
                      how soon is soon? like 20 miles after the fluid swap or 20 weeks after fluid swap?
                      I would like to get the Merc off the road before the end of September, hopefully by the end of August. So somewhere in between...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X