Add Aux to Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Aux to Premium Sound

My 86 Grand Marquis has the premium sound system which I still use and like (replaced factory speakers). I have an mp3 player that I use the cassette adapter with. I was wondering if anyone has or knows about how to to add some sort of auxillary input into the head unit that could plug into the mp3 player. Some of the newer Audi's and VW's have something like this (Ipod/mp3 Ready).

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

cassette adaper or fm modulator are you only choices.
    I have an aftermarket deck with an aux input on the face
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'm thinking I'm going have to stick with the factory premium setup then. I figured there might have been some way to splice a feed into the wiring harness but honestly the tape adapter doesn't bother me much. I do need to get the deck serviced (rollers, capstan, and head clean/demagnetized so it can play actual tapes without eating them.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

The sony tape adapter I had kicked ass when I hooked up my IPOD to it, the sound quality was great. I didn't have premium sound in my car either and I was happy with the results on the original speakers.

My dad uses it now in the 99 Cherokee, sound amazing still, nothing like a standard cd player since you can eq an IPOD. FM modulators are ok, but you only a few selection of radio stations and the signal and sound quality sometimes isn't great.
        Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
        2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
        Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
        Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
        X