Premium Sound Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium Sound Wiring

On my 96 Vic I ordered a new aftermarket head unit for it, and I have been having a hell of a time finding a wiring harness for it. Well for the speakers specifically, power hook up I found.

Wiring harness I found says it will fit my Vic that has the premium sound system in it, but the one connector thats the closest to fitting is too small, and the pins are in the wrong pattern.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for speakers on my car? As much as I dont want to do it I am getting impatient trying to find a wiring harness and just want to splice into the wires directly.

I guess it's just that bitch got bored, I had to race my fucked up Ford.

There is a seperate premium sound bypass wiring harness that you need to use along with the wiring harness. Maybe on the newer panthers you can get it to work without the harness but on my friend's 88 GM you need the bypass harness.

Another thing you could do is run all new wiring for your speakers, it was a huge difference when I replaced the stock speakers with Pioneer's in my non-premium sound system.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Do you know off hand what size speakers they take? If they are 4x6's it would be great because I could rob the pioneers off my old pickup.

Comment

Mine took 6x8's all around. I put 6x9's in the rear though cause I had them left over from my old truck just trimmed alittle. It should be the same for you as alot of the 96+ aero interior stuff is the same as whales.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

There is a seperate premium sound bypass wiring harness that you need to use along with the wiring harness.
          I have a spare premium sound bypass box for sale if someone needs it. You take the wires from the amp and run them into it, then run the speaker wires into it. It does all the work to retain the stock premium sound amplifier and you don't have to rewire the car.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
          302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
          '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
          '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Unfortunatley you have to bypass the harness all together. Mine was a METRA wiring kit, you plug it into a harness that plugs into the amp and then plug that into the new radio. If you're dealing with the problem I had it was the green plug. I wish I could have ran my new head unit through the premium sound but those are bastard years.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
              Unfortunatley you have to bypass the harness all together. Mine was a METRA wiring kit, you plug it into a harness that plugs into the amp and then plug that into the new radio. If you're dealing with the problem I had it was the green plug. I wish I could have ran my new head unit through the premium sound but those are bastard years.
              When you say green plug, you mean this?

This is the plug for my speakers that plugs into the reciever. Are you saying there is a plug on the amp I need to plug that green one into?

Comment

Yup, thats what gave me hell. I even tried to modify it and re-do the pin connections. That kit won't work, you gotta buy a new one, the only plug you will use that plugs into your stock radio is the power/acc plug. It should be gray or black and be flat. The new kit will run wires all the way back to the trunk to the amp and have an antenna wire too.

Comment

Do you know anywhere off hand to order the kit on the net?

Comment

Sorry man, it was with the car when I got it. Metra is all I saw stamped on the connector.

Comment

Do I have a P100 system? Do I want to integrate the factory amp or just bypass it?

I found this site:

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/metra_wiring_plugs.html

And with expensive as the wiring harness' are, I want to make sure I get it right.

Comment

yeah, that p100 looks right, thats what i used. could you snap a pic of your amp?

Comment

Alright, Crutchfield came through with the wiring harness, I havent checked it out to see if it will work or not though.

Question though, where do I want to run this through from the trunk to the front? Am I looking at taking out seats and carpet?

Comment

Only the back seat needs to come out. You will want to run it down your pass side wire gutter. You need to take the door sill plate off and pull the carpet back a bit. The gutter will pop open at little tabs. Also the kick plate by the feet has to come off. Should be held in by one screw and some friction clips. Ask for anything else.

P71towny

Comment

Well I got it. Burning a MP3 CD to try it out right now. One thing is, the kit they gave me didnt have an antenna adapter to run up front, any idea where I can pick one up?

Oh, few things, my kick plate didnt have a screw in it at all, just snaps in with this white christmas trees. And my wire gutter, I had to remove the sill plates and the pillar trim, and then it was held closed with screws.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X