Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just need a little advice/troubleshooting on horn/relays !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just need a little advice/troubleshooting on horn/relays !

Alright check this out guys....(1988 Crown VIC) I just bought new horns after checking all the wiring out. Wiring is A-OK. The hardware is definitely what is causing the fuse to blow. So I disconnected the horns ( which are single terminal ) and plugged up the new horns. Horns wouldnt work off of one terminal being plugged by OEM horn plug. So I took the remaining terminal and plugged to chassis ground and the fuse is now basically the trigger. When fuse is in, the horns blow hard. And when I unplug the fuse, the horns stop sounding. But the fuse does not blow at all anymore. Should I plug the remaining terminal to somewhere besides the ground? I'm contemplating using a relay, in some form, to bypass as much of the stock wiring as possible. Does anybody have any light to shed on this predicament? I'm willing to try anything at this point, so please share if you have any ideas.
    Thank you.

I think you need 2 horns. Not super sure of the wiring, but if memory serves, there are 2 + wires for the horns. Its also possible that the relay is just stuck. The relay should be on the driver's side, just behind the wash bottle on the bracket with the other relays. Its the small one at the bottom that you need.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my horns are 1-wire chassis ground. Id bet you need power and ground for those horns. do they both have 2 terminals or just one?
      Ive installed a few aftermarket horns with 2, they usually included a black wire with terminal and ring ends to make the chassis ground.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
      X