Plinkity plink, flapping sound... !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plinkity plink, flapping sound... !?

Hello, took Rocinante on a 1900 mile, 2 week trip to the Pac. NW. Didn't have any problems per se, she went like a champ, but a worrisome sound has presented itself. When accelerating, there's this bizarre flapping, metallic plink sound a bit like a playing card on a bicycle wheel, coming from somewhere under the car. It isn't engine knock, it's different from that. Sometimes it's accompanied by a slight vibration, which goes higher and lower in tone depending on my speed. Often it seems to clear up on its own as I get on the freeway and go along at 60 plus mph for a few hours.
    I'm wondering, wheel bearing, or differential bearing? Or-- what?
    If anyone has any insight, or comment, many thanks...
    Rocinante, 1985 Grand Marquis LS with all the trimmings.

U joint maybe...I'd check the driveshaft for play.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ah, U-joint. Had a quick look, I haven't really looked at it since the trip, its leaking a lot more at the front seal of the differential. I'll have to put the car up on jackstands, to get under there, to check the axle play.
      When I had new tires put on up in WA at Les Schwab's, they said I needed a new differential cover gasket and c-clip. I didn't have the $ to get it done at the time, the gas prices took all my money... somebody else told me the car would be okay for the trip home, so I forgot about it for a while. So, I'm thinking maybe, the noise and the leakage might be related... I hope so, actually, so that I'll know what the problem is, and not something in addition to the known problem. Ugh.

Comment

could be the pinion bearing or the flange coming loose. I ripped the flange off the pinion on my old car....LOL

Comment

Pinion and flange possible failure... hm.
          Looking at the diagrams in this so called repair manual, I am leaning toward that conclusion, now. Being that there's a lot of leakage of gear oil there, and similar descriptions of the noise...
          I'll have to tuck the car under her tarp and let her rest until she can see the drivetrain doctah.

Comment

Throw it on some jackstands, put it in neutral and see what you can find. Might just be U joints...might be loose bolts...

Comment

Aye aye, sah. Will do.
              And I'll post an FYI when I find what the trouble is.

Comment

Do you have hubcaps? It sounds to me like some of your lug nuts started backing out and you have one flopping around inside the hubcap.
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Yeah, could be....Those damn hubcaps.... Good call Woody...

Comment

yeah - the metal adaptor thing that the hubcaps bolt to (do they have these?) and are held on by the lug nuts sound just like that when they are loose.
                    A flappy pinktity pink noise... I couldnt have put it better myself
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

LOL! Forgot about checking that until you mentioned it. I'll have a look at them. I did get new tires put on, dunno if it happened afterward, some of it is a bit foggy, travelled to a lot of different places, and all.

I just checked out the driveshaft, and there's some play to it, about a quarter inch when it changes direction, when I move the rear wheels back and forth. The wierd thing is, the rear tires move even if it's in park, the same as neutral. Is that normal?
                      I am lost with automatics...

Going to look at the tires...

Comment

Okay... took all the hubcaps off... geez, the tire guys kind of manhandled them around a bit, they have new dings in them.
                        I'm debating putting them back on for a while, unless I go to a place where there's a likely incident of wheels being stolen.
                        The hubcap adapter thing was loose on one of the front wheels, and when I moved it, it made a noise similar to what I've described. Zo, it looks like you were absolutely right. I"m hoping you are!
                        It's also possible that the adapters weren't put back the same way they were taken off, otherwise it messes with the wheel balance. So says the owner's manual.

Comment

1/4 inch is fine-if that's the amount it has for pinion/ring gear play. If that 1.4 inch is drivehaft yoke to flange, or driveshaft flange or yoke to driveshaft (u joints) then there is an issue. The driveshaft shouldn't move in park-too much..Wheels will turn as long as the driveshaft will.

Comment

I'm remembering more stuff... when the car went over fluctuations in the road and bounced, the sound would get louder on the downswing of the bounce. My shocks are not the best, the rear end lists a little lower on one side when the trunk is fully loaded with stuff.

Comment

Could be a loose shock....Could just be a hubcap...

Comment

Working...
                              X