I need a little info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a little info

I'm looking to buy another Vic/GM soon, and i've heard that the early models (92+) had a bad valve design. Which years had this poor design? If I wanted an early 90s model Vic/GM, is there something that I could swap out and solve the problem without having to avoid model years like the plague?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Well I know people say the '92-95 Panthers have the crappy valve seal design, which allows oil to get past the valve and burn up in the combustion chamber. In '96 Ford redesigned the valve seals for an improvement in this area.
    Replacing the valve seals is one option, putting a later motor in it is another, or later heads on an older block would work too. SOme are also worse than others. My car barely puffs with over 250,000 miles.
    The early Aeros also had other quirks and many carry clutch fans only, all-aluminum intake, EGR ports that clog frequently and other things.
    One thing that I like about the early aeros is the look of them. And don't forget that so many parts from the newer models will swap either directly or without much trouble into the older cars.
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

So will a 96 and up motor be able to use performance parts directly from a 4.6L Mustang? If so, i'll go for a 96 and up Vic/GM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
        So will a 96 and up motor be able to use performance parts directly from a 4.6L Mustang? If so, i'll go for a 96 and up Vic/GM.
        Well some parts can be used, and some parts can't. The 96+ definitely have the improved valve seals, though. I believe the '01+ have PI heads/intake so the '01+ have the most performance and definitely outperform the early cars.
        Like I said, I happen to love the look of the early cars so that's why I own one.
        Are you looking for strictly performance, or going for a certain look?

Comment

To be honest, i'm more into the getting good mileage rather than going fast. I only want to add upgrades that raise mileage and maybe a little performance. I'll sacrifice going fast for having a little extra cash in my pocket.

Comment

The '96 and up Panthers also have the 4R70W transmission which seems to have less problems than the older AOD and AODE's.

1999 Ford Crown Victoria LX 1/4 mile - 15.8 sec. @ 87 mph
            -Marauder Intake and 80mm MAF, XCal 93 Octane Tune (BOC) with Motorcraft 22F Copper Plugs, Hi Flow Cats, Glasspacks with Short Exits Rear of the Tires, FRPP 70mm TB, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, PI Shocks

Comment

Also, i've heard that a Marauder airbox is a great way to gain airflow. Besides a Marauder, where can I find one? Does ebay have em? I just looked on ebay and I couldn't find any.
              Last edited by 88Vic; 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Also, i've heard that a Marauder airbox is a great way to gain airflow. Besides a Marauder, where can I find one? Does ebay have em? I just looked on ebay and I couldn't find any.
                I'm pretty sure that ADTR sells them. You will need a tune, however to take full advantage of it. I believe that the MAF is part of the airbox(might be wrong) and the newer zip tubes seem to make people happy.
                I'm going with the MKVIII intake on my car, but people in the community who have done this mod(marauder maf/airbox) don't seem to regret it.

If you are looking for good MPGs but still a little something, 3.08s are decent. 2.72(3)s are obviously great on mileage and 3:55s might be a good compromise also but in the other direction.

Either way, what are you looking for?

What mods are you planning?

Is this a DD, weekly car or race-only?

That will ultimately determine what to do.

Comment

I had a 93CVPI it was great. 160k burned 1qt of oil per day (100miles nyc driving)

AODE was great for me. that thing was much faster than my 97cvpi
                  1999 CVPI
                  Old Rides
                  1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                  1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Originally posted by trife86
                    I had a 93CVPI it was great. 160k burned 1qt of oil per day (100miles nyc driving)

AODE was great for me. that thing was much faster than my 97cvpi
                    Obviously you had a poorly-maintained(or poorly driven) car and your sarcasm was not lost on me....:bs:

Comment

It was the 92-95 that had the valve seal problems.

The airbox and MAF from the Marauder do come as a combo, and are available at http://www.adtr.net

You will need a tune for the Marauder MAF, but it is well worth it. Your car will definitely wake up with the Marauder airbox/MAF and a good tune. I suggest using http://www.blueovalchips.com for the tune.

You will be able to use some 96-98 Rustang parts on a 96-00 Panther. Not everything will work obviously, but some stuff.
                      2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Originally posted by mercenvy
                        Obviously you had a poorly-maintained(or poorly driven) car and your sarcasm was not lost on me....:bs:
                        Really for me my 93 seemed faster. i belive cause it was a higher reving motor? on the liquid.cv engine power chart they say the 93 makes peak power at 4600 vs the 97 at 4250.

But yea the AODE did great for me when i had it. no bs.
                        1999 CVPI
                        Old Rides
                        1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                        1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Whatever you say...

Comment

If I get a 96+ Vic/GM, i'll get a Marauder airbox. But how do I tune the engine for max power gain? Do I have to go to a shop, or can I try and do it myself?

Comment

If I get a 96+ Vic/GM, i'll get a Marauder airbox. But how do I tune the engine for max power gain? Do I have to go to a shop, or can I try and do it myself?
                              Well this I am not sure about. I think it depends on whether the car is OBDI or OBDII. Basically depending on how new the car's computer is will determine whether you have to go to a shop and get a chip burned, or whether you can do it yourself with a scanner. At least that is how I understand it.

Comment

Working...
                              X