{ENGINE}de-smogging a 351

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE}de-smogging a 351

My next project at work is to de-smog the old work truck we use, and have a question or so. Its an 87 F250 with the 351w, cali emissions and a Holley 4 bbl. I think the Holley model is 4180, but I could be mistaken. My question is about the distributor. When I remove the smog junk, can I use the existing dizzy? If so, how would it hook up? I know old pre-smog Ford ran the vac advance direct to the intake manifold. Would I connect it there, or to the carb above the butterfly plate?

This thing is never going to see road use again so totally proper advance isn't really needed. Its used as a work truck on the marina grounds. Thanks in advance.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yes.

In resonse to your question, the vac advance is hooked to the vacuum source above the throttle plate, aka ported vacuum.

The engine I am building for my car came out of one of those trucks, its an 84 block

I drove a couple too, when you slam down on the gas you can def hear the ol 4bl's suckin
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

It should have a Duraspark II ignition. Keep the distributor and go with a Blue module if it doesn't have one already.

Comment

Working...
      X