Tranny Problem?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Problem?????

Ive noticed that I get more grab (throw you back in the seat) power at 3/4 throttle than at full..Another thing that is weird is I stomped on the gas while I was turning and nothing happend no rise in RPM nothing..Asked a buddy of mine (chebby guy) about the grab issue and he said it was a tranny problem...Being that I have a AOD could that be the problem....
    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
    Originally posted by MeanVic84
    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Originally posted by importssuck
    Ive noticed that I get more grab (throw you back in the seat) power at 3/4 throttle than at full..Another thing that is weird is I stomped on the gas while I was turning and nothing happend no rise in RPM nothing..Asked a buddy of mine (chebby guy) about the grab issue and he said it was a tranny problem...Being that I have a AOD could that be the problem....
    I have had this problem also. It doesn't happen that often to me and I'm swapping trannys anyway but...

With the Early 4r70w, the AODE and AOD, the issue is "neutraling out" due to the fluid moving over to one side of the pan during hard turns at speed. In I believe '96 Ford made the trannys with a different style tranny pan. The pan has a "dimple" in it, and a different filter which eliminates this loss of fluid due to centrifigal force.
    The newer pans fit the older trans but don't forget the filter also, you need both for it to work correctly.
    This is of course assuming that the tranny is otherwise in good shape. From your online description that is my thought.
    Also it is common about the partial throttle in these mod motors. Even my buddy with his '03 Cobra says the same thing...
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Thanks mercenvy I was freaking out thinking that my tranny was going bad...Ill look up a pan at work this morning for a 96 M75
      R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
      Originally posted by MeanVic84
      Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

The AODs in 4 wheel drive aplications have deeper pans and pickups on the filters. They hold quart or two more which the trany needs to help keep temps down. This was done because of steeper entry and exit angles taken into account for a 4 wheel drive over a car.

Some of the aftermarket pans hold up to 3 or 4 quarts more and should be used with the 4 wheel drive filter with the deeperr pickup. The extended "tube" for the pick up could be extended further in these pans.

These changes would keep the pick up in the oil and extend the life of your trans by reducing heat.
        Havent checked on the newer transes but factory 4 weel drive tras may have the same changes over a car trans.

Ever think about what happens in the engine cornering. My 70 Mustang with a stock pan would flash a red oil light every time I went around a corner not even close to the g forces it was capable of. Had to make my own T pan since nobody made one for a 250 six.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          Ever think about what happens in the engine cornering. My 70 Mustang with a stock pan would flash a red oil light every time I went around a corner not even close to the g forces it was capable of. Had to make my own T pan since nobody made one for a 250 six.
          Which is why any serious race car has a dry-sump oiling system, like the Ford GT or most any circle track car. The drag cars used baffled pans also(front/back).
          Good point about the 4WD trannies, that never accurred to me.
          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Working...
          X