Engine swapage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swapage

I was wondering if anyone has tried to drop a DOHC 4.6L from a newer Continental into a 92+ Vic/GM/TC? I was reading about Conti's and I saw that it had a 32V 4.6L and I frist thought that it would be a good engine in a Vic. What does everyone think about this idea?

Also, what platform is the FWD Conti on? Is it also a Panther, or something else?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Originally posted by 88Vic
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to drop a DOHC 4.6L from a newer Continental into a 92+ Vic/GM/TC? I was reading about Conti's and I saw that it had a 32V 4.6L and I frist thought that it would be a good engine in a Vic. What does everyone think about this idea?

Also, what platform is the FWD Conti on? Is it also a Panther, or something else?
    I believe they are loosely based on the Taurus platform, but I could be wrong/thinking of something else.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

the FWD continental is a modified taurus platform that was built at the wixom plant.

also since the continental is FWD the 4.6L engine turns in the opposite direction and I am pretty sure the bell housing bolt patterin is different from the RWD motors.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Sorry, I don't know why I put this in the 5.0/5.8 tech forum. Brain fart.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

try the cobra dohc 4.6 they go perfect in the vic's and mercs
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I've heard of reversing the rotation of an engine, but something tells me it wouldn't work on a 4.6.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

try the cobra dohc 4.6 they go perfect in the vic's and mercs
              Only in the 03+, they won't fit in the older engine bays without decent modification.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

what year vic are you talkin about? And the sohc engines have loads of potential like over 490 hp with the right mods.
                LOL the cat fell down.... clumsy cat
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

DOHC 4.6 isn't going to provide the power to be worth the swap unless you plan to add forced induction (because the 2v will provide better torque for your application). You can make a crapload of power from your 2v without the issues of wiring, clearance, programming, etc... and still be able to change your spark plugs with ease. Again, the 4v would be a good platform for forced induction, but sucks on such a big car in stock form. Why else would so many Marauder guys be going with superchargers?
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                    DOHC 4.6 isn't going to provide the power to be worth the swap unless you plan to add forced induction (because the 2v will provide better torque for your application). You can make a crapload of power from your 2v without the issues of wiring, clearance, programming, etc... and still be able to change your spark plugs with ease. Again, the 4v would be a good platform for forced induction, but sucks on such a big car in stock form. Why else would so many Marauder guys be going with superchargers?
                    Although forced induction is truly the golden road to huge numbers in the mod motors, putting in a DOHC will only increase the performance almost twofold. THAT is why people S/C their Marauders. The gains in S/C'ing a SOHC will never be as much as a DOHC with the same mods. The DOHC heads flow so much better. with a '96-'98 Cobra motor, it's making almost 100 more HP and more torque also. With the Terminator Cobra, Mach1/Marauder heads, they flow even better. So if you're planning on S/C'ing the car anyway, why not swap in a DOHC and then get twice the performance? Just the N/A swap is worth a bunch just by itself.
                    So while I agree with you that it takes some doing, I don't believe it is a worthless swap and don't really understand your logic in thinking that it is so.
                    DOHCs make more torque than a 2V, it's all in the tune, and degreeing the cams is the biggie. With a stall and gears you can get plenty of torque.
                    Really it comes down to money, and how far you are willing to take the swap.
                    You can just do a simple swap and grap some performance, or go all out and get a VT shortblock with Fox/Lake heads and a Kenne Bell.
                    I say at least do some research into how difficult it would be. Depending on the year of the DOHC and the donor car, it might be easier than you think.
                    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

The DOHC is extremely boost friendly "as is" to like 9 psi. Which in the perfect tuning world equates relativly near 500 to the wheels. I know with light throttle applications the 06 P71 at work and the 03 marauder *feel* the same in a straight line. Iwas never given the opportunity to floor the PI. It was still in break in period(less than 500 miles). Reason marauder guys boost is cause cams for example is almost the same $ spent. After dropping that much $, you still net nowhere near the gains of the charger. Plus you get that audible pleasure tone as you are thrown back into your seat.
                      Last edited by merc6; 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                      2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

I dare to say that a supercharged DOHC modular conversion is a massive pipe dream for anyone on this forum.

Keep it realistic and cam the 2v.
                        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I know of one person who did the swap (2ndmdrebel IIRC with a LX sport) but a procharger came into play as well. The other person went all out and went 03-04 cobra motor and charger relocating the battery to the trunk.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                          2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

im pretty sure the DOHC spark plugs are in the middle of the valve cover, should not be too hard to change them.
                            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I dare to say that a supercharged DOHC modular conversion is a massive pipe dream for anyone on this forum.

Keep it realistic and cam the 2v.
                              While that may be true, at least swapping in the 4V you're halfway there.
                              The reason I say this is I am about to undertake a 4V swap. Obviously it's not a drop-in like a 2V would be, but to me it is worth it. Sure there's alot to think about, but my year 4V would be the easiest of them all(at least in my car).
                              So while I encourage it, I also say do your research. Not all 4Vs are the same. Find out which flexplate/torque converter you need, whether the car/engine has a returnless fuel system or not, fuel pump, injectors, driveshaft, etc.
                              And ditto on the spark plugs...???
                              My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Working...
                              X