Driveline doctor bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline doctor bill

Ugh... I'd even hate to admit that I can't do much about it, but here's the prognosis for the plinking sound that's been bothering me since my road trip.
    I'll give you an idea of how much this is going to set us back, so you can appreciate the value of doing your own work.

First off, the universal joint hardware was wearing out. Both sides, but the worst was in the front. No great surprise, there. That's what was causing the metallic noise underneath, obviously.
    Not terribly expensive to get fixed by itself, but the guy said he couldn't let me drive it for safety issues. They are required for liability reasons not to let a car go when it has a problem that could cause an accident. He showed me how much play it had, and it did look bad. I wasn't able to see that for myself, I was busy focusing on the back u-joint, and didn't really look very closely at the front.
    So, now that the car was on a lift, I'd seen it for myself. I don't think I'd want the axle to drop down while I'm going down the road. I mean, duh. :P
    Second, which is the bigger, more expensive job, the leaking differential seals need to be replaced, yadda yadda, which I knew about. But that's not all. Turns out the rear axle seals are also leaking, putting gear oil on my rear brake shoes. So, the differential seals need to be replaced, the rear bearing seals need to be replaced and repacked with axle grease.
    As a result the third job, which is not too expensive, but just adds to the total bill, is the brake shoes need to be replaced, and the rear brake drums cleaned/resurfaced to get all traces of the gear oil off of there, otherwise, another major safety issue.
    Since I didn't have enough cash on me, I had to leave the car there, and go back tomorrow after I hit my son up for more money.
    Well, we have a deal worked out between us, that he gets my other car when he gets his license, so he doesn't *really* mind. Not really. And this garage was the most recommended place on the peninsula. I'm hoping to add my recommendation as well. I got a ride home from them. I don't know if they give rides to go pick up the car, but I'm hoping so.
    Total cost will be about $635.
    Once this is done though, the drivetrain shouldn't need any more attention and hopefully the rest of the car won't need anything for a while. Yes, they did say the valve cover gaskets were leaking, but I can do that myself, done it plenty enough times before on other cars, and that's not urgent.

Geez. I know somebody who had a Subaru for only 5 years where the engine has been replaced already. Only 125K on it. Really, out west, that isn't much for mileage. I've rarely had a car with less than 120K on it, and I drove them for years afterward. Other stuff needed attention, but not the engines. Hmm.
    Rocinante, 1985 Grand Marquis LS with all the trimmings.

Ouch!
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

no shop is allowed to "not let you drive the car becuase its not safe"

thats BULLSHIT!!! they just want you to leave it there and have the work done there, I would take the car and get another estimate... $600 is a litt high for all that. Total for those parts should be no more than $100...
      one hour for the brake job
      one hour for the U-joints
      no more than 2 or 3 for the axle seals.

thats gives me 350-400... which would be a much better price.

Go there and try to leave with the car, and if they protest tell them you'll call the police and see what they have to say.
      Just becuase a shop is highly reccomended doesnt mean thier not crooks. Con artists can easlity make people smile and laugh while they are giving it to them in the pooper.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Tis a bit high. but most shops have a fairly high labor rate. The whole cost of living thing.

The U joints, I could see them not wanting you to leave. The brakes and leaks aren't that big of a deal.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if the U-joints were that bad, you would get a bad CLUNK going in and out of drive/reverse, and they would have been making a very distintly audible fast squeak - squeaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueaksq ueak

at the very least, ask him to produce your old parts so you can see.
          A mechanic can very easily make it look like there is play in the driveshaft, especially to a customer who doesnt really know what they are looking at.

I guess if that shop has a $90 an hour labor rate and if giving you premium parts, that price isnt so bad... Id still like to see an itemized copy of your bill though
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Gack... okay, just an FYI, here's the breakdown of the bill for parts.
            2 Axle shaft seals, $11.76.
            Differential cover gasket $16.86 (I didn't know differential housing seals needed gaskets, unless they mean liquid gasket, dunno)
            Gear oil $13.68
            Brake shoes and pads (they were worn as it is, plus the gear oil contamination) $51.64
            U-joint kit, both front and rear $18.83
            Total parts: $112.77

Labor for this area is about the same at all garages, $85-110 per hour. This place charges about $95 per hour.

Initial road test, drivetrain inspection, wheel inspection, and checking sources of all fluid leaks, $75.
            Then about 3-4 hours total, that adds up to
            $455
            On the estimate, it adds up to
            $503, including disposal of old gear oil.
            Then there's tax of 7.75%...
            What can I say? *shrug*

Comment

$90/hr really isn't that high. Around here most Ford Dealerships charge 90-130/hr.

It's not that bad of a deal. But the "we can't let you drive your car" thing does bother me. Only the police have the ability to sieze your vehicle.

Comment

Meh, no diff cover gasket. Should be a no charge thing that falls under "shop supplies". But everyone wants to make a buck or two.

Comment

Actually, now that you mention it, yesterday, what prompted me to take it in today, was that the sound had changed from a plinkity plink to a loud squealing, and the transmission was shifting harder, and it did go clunk... also there was a more pronounced vibration everyone could feel through the floorboards.
                  The waiting room is right in the garage, and I watched them look at the car. I don't believe they were able to meddle with anything.
                  It's happened to me before, being I've had older cars for so long, this one place many years ago, a Meineke place, (never really liked Meineke or Midas, had bad experiences there) thought they could play games with me, but since I get to know my cars really well after a while, I knew they were messing with me, and called them on it. They fixed it without a word. For nothing.
                  The guy doing the initial assessment formy car today said he has an 87 GM, BTW, he said mine was in primo condition for its age. Uh, yes! That's nice to know... and then $600 later... it's really going to be in primo condition now, right?

I need an Alka-Seltzer...

And yeah, overheads around here are high for businesses. Property taxes are astronomical, so I have to live with all the garages being a bit on the high side.

Comment

They didn't exactly seize the car, I guess I just worded that wrong. They strongly recommended I not drive it.
                    They weren't going to force me per se to keep it there, but I probably would have had to sign a release of liability or something, and had to drive it home again. I decided I didn't want to take such a risk. I could pay the $75 estimate fee, take it to another garage, get probably about the same estimate, and pay another $75... some places charge $95 for estimates without the work being done.

Comment

Unreputable shops tell u that shit. They have pulled that on several occasions to ladys I wave worked with is BS. One person a shop racked up over a 1000 $ on a cowokers brakes.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rectangular Car
                        was that the sound had changed from a plinkity plink to a loud squealing, and the transmission was shifting harder, and it did go clunk... also there was a more pronounced vibration everyone could feel through the floorboards.
                        yeah those are definitly signs of U-joint wear progression... the vibration in mine got scary!!!

With that kind of labor rate the price is realistic enough... but a $75 pre-inpection??? dang. I guess that shops busy enough to charge minute by minute to check things out... I feel better about the bill I guess.
                        git 'er fixed up!
                        sigpic

Comment

Talking myself into feeling better about spending that much... heh. I didn't have to buy this car, so it's basically like getting a decent working car for about $700 so far. No wait, I got new tires... make that around $1000. :P

Comment

Still not too bad though. It's an older car, those repairs are normal maintanence.

I'e got like 10K in my car...

Comment

10K? Whew... but going by pics, it looks like you did. I'm jealous!

The PO has spent a few thousand keeping this car up nice, either way you look at it, you could buy a new car for $25K, and then 5 years later get a new engine for it, or you can get a used car in decent shape and put a few thousand into it, and it comes out the same.
                              I think though in 5 years, I'll have a car with 200K miles on it and still going finest kind.

Okay, I feel better.

Was good to get all the feedback, both positive and negative, gives me some perspective. I'll see how things went when I pick 'er up from the garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X