Headlights of Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights of Hell

I had a problem about 1 week ago with my headlights they wouldnt come on but the parking light was on and flickering and you could hear a relay in the car opening and closing the relay I found that it was right behind the heater and air controls. I checked all wiring and everything was good. Once it set for a while about 30 min the headlights came back on no problmes all weekend long at Scottfest and all week long here until today.

Out of no where same problem happen all over again but worse. The parking light came on and would no go out i had to pull fuse #4 which is a 15 amp to shut the parking light and dash cluster off. I checked across the empty slot with the fuse out and im reading 12vdc i know that should not be there..I also replaced the headlight switch but that didnt help same problem. Also one thing before all this happen 1 week ago i was about to get my car washed at the drive thru wash and i turned my car off to do something when i went to turn it on teh pull up about to get it washed teh car wouldnt start like it did that day at the track before we were about to leave. The attendant at the car wash said he saw smoke come from my starter solenoid......Thats all the info i got for now any question ask me and i will try to explain...Would a fuselink do this? But i know a fuselink once broke kills the power thou..Also when i go to hit the highbeam switch a yellow 20 amp fuse blows it did it last week just like this once the circuit or load is clear it does not blow...And yes all this did happen before Scottfest just this time it seems worse....I dont think its the multi function switch either ...
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

damn man - only thing I can think of is maybe your alarm is going schitzo...
    Does your system flash the parking lights at all when it arms or anything?
    If so thats what i would guess, or its possessed.
    Id check out those fuse links real good too, mack sure arent about to break. Your supposed to pull on them and see if they come apart. Then if you can ID that link maybe you can trace the problem out.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Don't think it's a fusible link, when those burn they're out for good. Maybe some power wires are shorting out to something, got no clue as to what and where though... how is your headlight switch, have you looked at it?

I just lost two low-beam headlights myself, was going to a friend's place on Tuesday evening and when I turned the lights on I saw a flash and the inboard passenger-side lamp burnt out it's low-beam filament, same thing happened to the inboard driver-side lamp when I was heading home several hours later. A power surge would have blown the low-beams fuse or taken out all four lamps at once, so I know that wasn't the cause. A relay malfunction would have taken out both passenger-side or both driver-side lamps at the same time, however the lights went out one at a time and only the inboard ones, outboards are working just fine. All that makes me think the inboard Silverstars just reached the end of their useful life, so maybe on next paycheck I'll replace them with a pair of those long-life headlights - won't be as bright as the Silverstars, but I got 4 lamps in the front anyways, so it's still gonna be much brighter than the stock setup.

Comment

I fixed the problem well kinda my parking lights are workin fine on the factory switch and my headlights are now powered from the old switch that i used to control my idle on the CFI.. All i have to do is leave the switch on and the lights come on when i turn the car on and go off when i turn the car off..The switch is on a ignition 12vdc.....I just bypassed the headlight switch for the lowbeams...The switch is fused as well with a 15 amp fuse so i should be just fine.....What cha think Pete?
        The Best

Comment

Has to be a wire melted together somewhere if you're getting power feedback like that. You have auto lamps right? There is a relay for that somewhere, but I don't know where. Maybe its the one you're hearing clicking. Possible that with those brighter lights the wiring harness is starting to melt down and something shorted out. Might wanna have a look at that and make sure all the stuff up there behind the header panel is OK.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea i sure do have auto lamps......Im goin to have to talk to Pete and get a diagram out his EVTM...
            The Best

Comment

Working...
            X