My New Wagon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Wagon...

Well... I worked a deal with my dad and his wagon is now mine. It needs a little special attention (they're not the best for maintenance), but it's a good car. This one's staying automatic. I have the heads, "headers", and throttlebody for an E7-based HO conversion. Just need cam, intake, and injectors. Next, I'm going to rebuild one of my AODs and use the wide ratio parts from a junkyard 4R70W (anyone know details on that?) and good servo, pump, Mustang governor, bands/clutches, etc. It'll also get an aluminum driveshaft (why not?) and most likely 4.10s. This will be the tow vehicle for the Samurai. I'm not sure whether I should install a traclock for towing or leave it open. Time (and research) will tell.

[/QUOTE]

It has a new "high performance" stock replacement fuel pump, new water pump and hoses, new heater core, and a few other things are new. It's in really good shape except for scratches on the front right door. I'm debating on window tint. It's gonna need some work before I do the HO conversion unless someone gives me the parts free... needs window motors on rear doors, lock clip on driver's door, headlight switch, and I need to solve a constant stall-out (despite brand new fuel pump and filter).

What do you think about the current plans? Feel free to throw in some ideas. I mapped out the build within an hour of knowing I was getting the car, so I may have missed a couple of details.
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 08-27-2006, 09:24 AM.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Glad to see you're getting it. That is a nice looking waggin'.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Thanks. Scratch the 4.10s- it'll most likely get 3.73s.

Whatever happens, it'll be done right, that's for sure.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

If you are going to make it the tow vehicle, I'd suggest a stock 351 EFI motor with the truck cam, 3.55, and a wide ratio.

However, I would also suggest not modding that car at all. Two project cars leads to two less cool cars. Keep it as is, and just keep it going. And stay focused on the real Project Wagon.

Comment

The thing is, I have a set goal for this one. I have all the parts for the HO conversion lined up for $35 (already picked up heads and TB), just need cam, intake, and injectors.
          I'll go ahead and MAF the P wagon since I have the meter. I'll get a computer and figure out the wiring to get it done. That way I can use the Mark VII computer in the white one. I'll be knocking out the main bugs on this one until the HO stuff is lined up. I'm gonna try swapping the governer in hopes that'll fix the early trans shifting.
          Mine's got a lot to be done. The back seat is piled up with parts to go on. I'll keep you all posted on everything, as always.

Comment

In all honesty, for towing I'd probably do a truck cam, or the Explorer cam with the E7 heads. The HO cam lacks low end torque which makes it somewhat ill suited for towing. You probably already have an Exploder cam right? I'd also do a traction lock. With the wide ratio trans and an exploder cam, you'd easily be able to do a 3.55 rear and tow extremely well. Also, with the wide ratio, you don't need or want the high speed governer. The low speed governer will shift around 4800 rpm, which is fine.
            Last edited by gadget73; 08-27-2006, 12:11 PM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

have you posted pics of that before? it looks fammiliar.
              very nice too
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yes- those are the pictures I posted when we first bought it.

I've decided on the Exploder cam (somewhat because I already have one and somewhat because it's a better cam for the application) and some polished E7 heads with the thermactor bumps removed. I know the 3.55s would do well enough in first, but I'm thinking about when I'm in drive or overdrive (could a WR-AOD with heavy duty internals and A+ servo tow in OD?) on Interstate pulling 4,000 pounds worth of trailer and Samurai. I think the 3.73s would do better for that. Opinions? Also- what do I want for a torque converter? Stock? Stall? Smaller? What?

...and thanks, Pete. I like it. Gonna detail it eventually and I'll post up some fresh pictures (it's on my old police wheels, now).

Comment

Picked up a headlight switch and A/C control today. I'll throw 'em in after a while this afternoon. Trying to cool down a bit from the junk yard heat. I found that if I get some drinks on the way in I don't overheat nearly as badly.

Anyone know what year models from which I can take the cup holders to replace the ash tray? I think Boxman has a thread about it. I'll go dig.

Comment

92-94.

I did this mod a couple years ago on my '90. Like I mentioned in Jeremys thread, there will be a tiny, tiny gap in between the dash and the cup holders when closed. To install it, you will also need the black metal piece that supports the radio and the old ashtray from the donor vehicle. Even though they look identical, they're not. You will also wind up blocking either the cigarette lighter or the radio with a cup.

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I can figure out how to swap 'em, but I may try to find the information you posted. I'm not worried about blocking either with a cup- I always set it to the station I want and leave it there. People who switch stations every couple minutes bug me.

Comment

No problem. You'll have to check CVN's archives as I did that before GMN's creation.

Comment

Is it that hard? Just pull the cup holder and black piece from the '92-'94, then install it in the '90, yes? ...or is modification required?

Comment

Sweet wagon
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks. It's nowhere near perfect, but the body damage is nowhere near bad enough to classify it as a beater. It keeps stalling out, though, even after a new fuel pump and filter. Gonna try to figure out what's going wrong there.

Comment

Working...
                              X