AOD fluid levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD fluid levels

I'm a bit confused. The dipstick for the AOD says to check the fluid level when the trans is warm and the engine is running. If the fluid is between the criss-crossed area, it is at the proper level.

Now, as long as I've known Super Unknown, the fluid level has always been 4 to 5 inches above the criss-crossed markings. This is even after the transmission was serviced a year and a half ago and no fluid was ever added between then and now. I only really paid attention to it now because I was attempting to maintain fluid in S.U.'s trans on the way home from SF. Tonight when I checked the CV's trans fluid, the level was in the criss-crossed area. The CV's trans was serviced about six months ago.

Is it possible that S.U. was running with too much fluid? Could it have been a malfunctioning transmission all this time? Could too much fluid damage the trans (i.e.: assist in the recent blow out of the seals)?

Yeah, someone filled it with too much ATF. At most it's only supposed to be a smidgen above those cross hatch marks. Ideally though, you want it within the cross hatch marks.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

its supposed to blow off extra pressure from the vent, it should spooge out of there firts before blowing a seal.
      (assuming AODs have presure vents)
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Too much fluid whips up into a froth with air and can cause slipping and such, not to mention extra heat.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Yeah, aereated fluid gets thicker and has poor lube properties. AODs do have a pressure vent but if the fluid gets frothy it wont pump or lubricate properly. It could also run the pressure too high and blow the pump out. Some folks say to fill an AOD to over the line, but like a pint over, or up to the D in Do Not Overfill, not inches above the fill mark.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's probably what is up with mine, same as described above. The readings too high.
            Rocinante, 1985 Grand Marquis LS with all the trimmings.

Comment

Working...
            X