Parking Brake Adjustment (rear disk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Brake Adjustment (rear disk)

Ok I am going to do the rear brakes on the LSE and I need to know how to properly adjust the parking brake. I may not even touch it when pulling off the old rotors but just in case I would like to know how to back it off and adjust it right. I always get confused as to which way to turn the star wheel. Say I am facing the rotor like anyone would look at it from the outside and I have my hands around the back or the backing plate which way would turn it? The service manual says take your screw driver and pull it up. Is that the right way? If it is then how do I adjust it back to the original postion so I don't over do it and have the parking brake draging on it? I know I could just try to remember how many turns I give it but just in case I would screw that up.

Thanks
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

You have to be kidding me, no one knows???

Comment

Well, pull the rotor off and look. That'd be the easiest way to find out.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Sadly I don't remember which direction the star wheel spins. Stick the brake spoon in there and try to move it. The direction it spins fairly easy in makes the shoes tighter, the direction you have to put more effort in to move retracts the shoes. Also, don't the rear disc cars still use the cable for most of the pedal adjustment? I wouldn't think adjusting those inner shoes would be very needed unless they're either worn down or the cable is tightened all the way down or something. That or if they're just way out of whack.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it should only turn one way.

you dont need to remove the rotor either, there should be a rubber plug you remove from the back side to access the star wheel and adjust it. a screw driver works, but a brake spoon is better as it wont damage the star wheel teeth.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Ya I know you don't need to remove the rotor to adjust it. I am doing the rear brakes (hopefully this weekend if the parts come in time) and if the parking brake gets hung up on the lip of the rotor. I have just heard some have had to back it off to get it off, I am just making sure just incase I have to.

Comment

IIRC,turning the wheel away from you adjusts them out and towards you adjusts them in.

02 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 4.6 ALL STOCK,KYB GAS ADJUSTS,GATOR BACK BELT.SOON TO COME J-MOD,DUAL EXHAUST

Comment

Working...
              X