S.U. - transmission rebuild/replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.U. - transmission rebuild/replacement

I apoligize in advance for all the questions I will be asking. I've searched the other posts, but I'm still confused.

I have a performance shop in town that can rebuild the trans for me. I want to build a wide ratio AOD, using the current trans as the base.

-Wide ratio kit: What is a good brand to use? FRPP seems popular.
    -Shift kit: Again, what is a good brand?
    -Is the A+ servo necessary? Is it a good thing to get?
    -Trans cooler: I assume this is a must have when using a wide ratio AOD.
    -Torque converter: What are some good specs to have for this? The shop that is doing the trans custom builds torque converters.
    -Governor: What is a good upgrade/brand for this?

Edit: I may be ordering my trans from Brian, but I'm not sure, yet. Right now I'm just looking for ideas and trying to figure out my costs.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 09-04-2006, 04:34 PM.

Tranny cooler is a good idea for any tranny, I went w/ a B&M Supercooler from Summit that I plan on installing myself. I also went w/ a slightly higher than stock stall speed torque converter (1700-1900).

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Most shift kits come with replacement springs for the governor. Not really an issue. The HO one from ford is only a few bucks. AS for the WR kit, Ford is good, but all the kits will have essentially the same parts, which are all ford parts.

Trans cooler is recommender no matter what. Get a stacked plate type.

A+ is not neccesary. An a servo is more than enough. (and alot cheaper)

Converter...Somewhere around a 22-2400. Make sure it's a lockup!

As for shift kit brands...Transgo!
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The wide ratio kit was only available from FRPP and has been discontinued. Basically,it was the hard parts from the wide ratio AODE when Ford first updated the transmission and used it in the Mark 8 to get some more low end grunt from a heavy car with a high revving DOHC motor. You may still be able to find a kit as several dealers have retained the inventory for a short time. Some, really good transmission shops Know what the stock parts are they need to make up the kit with individual Ford service parts from the dealer. You may also source a used 4R70W and take the internal parts out of it to make the kit (this is how I built my wide ratio trans).

Since you already have a 3.55 rear gear, you may want to consider a rebuilt standard ratio AOD, but upgrade to the 2" O/D band and beefier mechanical diode one way clutch. I found the wide ratio and a 3.55 gear a tad too much on the highway( car was turning 2500 RPM at 75 mph with a 235/60/16 tire).
        Also, most trans builders consider the "A" O/D servo over kill with the 2" band. Using the stock, "B" servo is sufficient.

Having driven and raced 2 cars with both wide ratio and standard ratio, I strongly recommend the Lentech Valve body. it was much better than any shift kit I had used and they modifiy the shift pattern to extend the 2/3 upshift since the wide ratio will make more power in 2nd gear because of the increased gear ratio. normal shift kits will cause the 2/3 upshift early during anything other than full throttle.

You will want to use the stock, Low speed shift govenor with the wide ratio gear kit. Since you are running a stock HO cam, this will keep the WOT shift speeds around 4800-4900 RPM. using the High speed shift govenor with the wide ratio gear set will result in 5600 RPM WOT up-shifts.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Thanks for the info guys (keep it coming). Nothing is ever easy, is it? I hate it when I don't understand something completely. Looks like I'll have to do some thinking before deciding on a transmission set-up.

What I'd like out of the next trans is something that gives the car some extra kick off the line, but retains driveability on the highway.
          Last edited by monterey1962; 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM.

Comment

the wide ratio kit is discontinued and around 500 bucks.......a used 4r70w is alot cheaper even being you need a rebuild kit and possibly some bushings
            i got one cheap from the local u-pull-it, so it was about half the price of the kit even with the new parts brian needed to get

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
              What I'd like out of the next trans is something that gives the car some extra kick off the line, but retains driveability on the highway.

Wide ratio seems to do great for that! My car cruises great on the highway and is a friggin beast off the line.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                the wide ratio kit is discontinued and around 500 bucks.......a used 4r70w is alot cheaper even being you need a rebuild kit and possibly some bushings
                i got one cheap from the local u-pull-it, so it was about half the price of the kit even with the new parts brian needed to get
                Hmm . . . if it's doable within the next three months, I'll take that route. Scott, if you want to, go ahead and get some cost numbers and I'll see what I can get done on my end (money-wise). My gut is telling me to stay away from the local performance shop. You guys know your shit, so I can't really ask for anything more.

Comment

3.55 gears, standard ratio AOD upgraded to 2" band and mechanical diode. 2200-2400 stall converter.

that will give you plenty of umph
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                  X