trans prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans prob

this is for my 2dr with the C-4 tranny. when in D, and you get on the gas, it shudders and makes a bad noise but, when in 1, you can put the pedal to the medle and the car will get up and go! is this a torque converter prob or modulator valve prob?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

i dunno but the mod valve is cheap and easy to replace! just dont misplace the little pin
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thats good to know!

Comment

how is the fluid level? condition of the fluid? it is a good idea to drop the pan and change the filter if it's been a while and replace the modulator too.......then u have a full tranny tune up
        there are also some external adjustments on a c4.......you'll have to check a service manual to find out which one is which tho
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

jus did a oil and filter change on it cuz, the gasket was leaking.

Comment

i also forgot to mention that the shifting is fucked too...i dont feel the car shift into second just, 1st to 3rd and when it shifts in the next gear, its so slugish till you get up to 40km/h.

Comment

did you try at all to adjust the tv linkage?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

you mean the metal rod from the trans to the carb?

Comment

yes........and make sure that the lever on the trans isnt stuck

Comment

i will check it out when it gets a lil warmer out...its -20*c! yikes!

Comment

The main shift band sounds suspect..the C4 is really different from the AOD, th TV rod is actually just a kickdown rod, to downshift when you gas it. You could completely disconnect it, and it would have no effect on how the tranny runs, other than it would not downshift when you gas it.
                      You can actually adjust the bands on the C4....but if it is acting that badly, it might be time for a rebuild....the C4's are pretty cheap, though. It is also real easy to modify it while it is out..."H" shift servo, Trans-Go makes an evil HP shift kit for it....(I built a C4 for my brother's F-150, and I set the shift firmness on "kill"...after I installed the tranny, he had his former girlfriend in the truck, he floored it, and on the 1-2 shift, her head bounced off of the back glass...the relationship ended that day...lol....

Comment

i was a lil suspicious on one of the bands at first, how much longer do you think the trans would last? but anyway i thing i might jus get her out and overhaul the prick but, first i need to get some prices...would adjusting the bolt by the shift linkage help any? thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                          i was a lil suspicious on one of the bands at first, how much longer do you think the trans would last? but anyway i thing i might jus get her out and overhaul the prick but, first i need to get some prices...would adjusting the bolt by the shift linkage help any? thanks for the info!
                          Yes. Loosen up the nut, turn the stud inwards until it stops moving (don't force it, just until it stops), and then back the stud out 3 turns, and while holding the stud still, tighten the nut. Do the same on the other side, for the reverse band. ( verify this with a manual, as I have two different trannies on the brain right now, the A4LD, and C4...)...try that.

Comment

i have the authentic 1981 ford manuals so ill check em out first!

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSlappingPirate
                              Yes. Loosen up the nut, turn the stud inwards until it stops moving (don't force it, just until it stops), and then back the stud out 3 turns, and while holding the stud still, tighten the nut. Do the same on the other side, for the reverse band. ( verify this with a manual, as I have two different trannies on the brain right now, the A4LD, and C4...)...try that.
                              By the book, tighten the intermediate band screw to 10- ft. lbs then back off 1 3/4 turns turns. Tighten the nut while holding the stud to 30 ft lbs. For the low/reverse band it is 10 ft/lbs then 3 turns back. The same 30 ft/lbs on the nut.
                              Service recommendations are to use a new locknut on both band adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                              X