Rear disc brake best year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc brake best year?

I remember a post a while ago that was discussing the rear brake upgrade, and there was a certain year range that had more aftermarket availability than the other. But I can't remember which one it was. I have tried searching.

Thanks

98-02 would be the best bet I'd think.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

theres 2 styles, 92-95 and 91 towncar, and 96-02.......difference being the caliper slide setup.......all i have harvested so far have been the earlier style setups

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

As long as the rotors are all the same dia I don't see too much of an advantage. P71's had different size pistons thats all I know.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

the one with the bigger piston should be the best one for stopping power I think.
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I don't think the P71's had different SIZE pistons, just different material. The usual phenolic vs. Steel. I guess it could be both...
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I dont want this thread to die out so here I am posting on it. we want to do this too .
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

phenolic to steel pistons shouldnt make shit for difference

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Besides the axle, what do you have to do to swap brake setups? Is there more than just redoing the brake lines?
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

You don't have to swap axles. All you have to do is swap the moutning plates at the end of each axle tube, and then swap all the brake parts. The brake lines aren't hard to fabricate. The parking brake cable is the most anoying part.

Comment

What he said. The axles do need to come out of the actual rear in order to swap the mounting plates from drum to disc but thats really it. Its not all that horrible.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                        phenolic to steel pistons shouldnt make shit for difference

Cracked a few of those plastic crap ones
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Yeah, the pistons are a different size, I accidentally bought the wrong size for anges car. Yes they are a different size and material.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Is it the outer diameter or inner diameter thats different? I'd expect the inner diameter where the brake pad's clip goes to be smaller since the plastic piston would need to be thicker than a metal one for strength. This would have zero real effect on brake performance though. The outer piston diameter is what would matter for braking power since that would actually affect the surface area of the piston. As far as cracking the pistons, what on earth were you doing to cause those things to crack?
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

there is a yard near me that has the 98-02 cv p-71 cop car in it and it has new rear brakes and front both are cross drilled and slotted should i grab these , will they work on my 86 gm..? what would i need from doner car...?

Comment

Working...
                              X