Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numerous suspension issues - 00 Merc GS

i've got a few issues

- when i shake the car back and forth, i get a thump in the area of the tire (right rear)

- when i turn, i start to wheel a vibration (wump wump wump wump wump) in the steering wheel, and you can hear it outside of the car (hubs???)

- the wheels sound like they are squeaking as i'm driving (wheel cylinders?)

any ideas? i need to know before i go to the mechanic type feller and he's like "oh that'll be $10,000 for your infusion technology assembly frame device"
    2000 MGM LS

Originally posted by 00merc
    i've got a few issues

- when i shake the car back and forth, i get a thump in the area of the tire (right rear)

- when i turn, i start to wheel a vibration (wump wump wump wump wump) in the steering wheel, and you can hear it outside of the car (hubs???)

- the wheels sound like they are squeaking as i'm driving (wheel cylinders?)

any ideas? i need to know before i go to the mechanic type feller and he's like "oh that'll be $10,000 for your infusion technology assembly frame device"

help me out!
    2000 MGM LS

Comment

Howdy, sorry I missed that one - here are some wild guesses here based on what I've seen at work:

1. I'd say the noise in the rear passenger wheel is due to some motion in the caliper, maybe a broken retention spring one one for the pads allows the pad to move within the carrier, or maybe the caliper's slides got loose and the whole caliper is moving/twisting.

2. If hubs are bad the wheels will vsibly move when car is off the ground, it acts like loose bearing set and clearly shows play. If it was ball joints you'd be hearing single clunk when you start turning. The repetitive pattern of the sound you hear makes me think there is something wrong with the tires, when was the last time you had the wheels balanced?

3. The squeeking you can hear only until about 20mph, 30 at most, right? I's the brake pads dragging on the rotors and vibrating, pull the front pads and check their insulator shims (actually look at the rear ones too, since you'll have to pull wheels to check for the clunk described in #1 anyways). My car doesn't have such shims in the front (lost them when installing the pads, dunno where they went) and it's squeeking real loud when driving slowly, increasing speed fixes it.

Hope some of that helps, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
        Howdy, sorry I missed that one - here are some wild guesses here based on what I've seen at work:

1. I'd say the noise in the rear passenger wheel is due to some motion in the caliper, maybe a broken retention spring one one for the pads allows the pad to move within the carrier, or maybe the caliper's slides got loose and the whole caliper is moving/twisting.

2. If hubs are bad the wheels will vsibly move when car is off the ground, it acts like loose bearing set and clearly shows play. If it was ball joints you'd be hearing single clunk when you start turning. The repetitive pattern of the sound you hear makes me think there is something wrong with the tires, when was the last time you had the wheels balanced?

3. The squeeking you can hear only until about 20mph, 30 at most, right? I's the brake pads dragging on the rotors and vibrating, pull the front pads and check their insulator shims (actually look at the rear ones too, since you'll have to pull wheels to check for the clunk described in #1 anyways). My car doesn't have such shims in the front (lost them when installing the pads, dunno where they went) and it's squeeking real loud when driving slowly, increasing speed fixes it.

Hope some of that helps, let us know how it goes.

thanks for the detailed response

i haven't had my brakes done in a while...i mean awhile...since they started screeching "change me! change me!" it's been about 3-4 months

i always had a suspicion the tires weren't balanced correctly. the ride of the car changed when i got new tires in a negative way (but it was a better overall tire).

so for #3, would my brake work fix that? I only noticed it after riding on old brakes for a while (after the usual screech).

i do hear a clunk when i make wide turns - but i heard that's just a bumpstop.

on a side note...when i do a doughnut in the rain...i hear a loud "clunk" when i''m swinging the rear end out to stop the doughnut. does this tie into any of my other strange noises?

i did a test today too. while my car was making that "whump whump" noise....my wheel danced back and forth about 1 / 1.5 inches. i should have went with "wheel feel" first.

excuse my doughnuts...i went from a 86 f150 with 413 horses to this. gotta have some fun sometimes!

let me know! thanks!
        2000 MGM LS

Comment

the noise you get side to side might be the bushings in the Watts-link being worn out. I seem to remember that they are supposed to be replaced every 40,000 miles or so.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
            the noise you get side to side might be the bushings in the Watts-link being worn out. I seem to remember that they are supposed to be replaced every 40,000 miles or so.
            do you when i shake it, or doing doughnuts? i can hear the noise when i shake in the fender area

when i do the donuts i hear the "clunk" from the the rear center (maybe right or left fender, can't tell when i'm driving and spinning)

so what happens when it gets worn?

interesting. i've got 55,000 miles on mine now (bought it with 43,000).

can i still take it to the dealership for it's 40k and 50k work? do anyone know how much that runs?
            2000 MGM LS

Comment

1. Could just be the usual axle play. Or could be watts link bushings.
              2. Could be tie rods or tires.
              3. Sounds like you need brakes... (no wheel cylinders on the newer cars, all calipers)
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                1. Could just be the usual axle play. Or could be watts link bushings.
                2. Could be tie rods or tires.
                3. Sounds like you need brakes... (no wheel cylinders on the newer cars, all calipers)

THANKS mr.ltd....i came from an old truck

i'll get the brakes checked on and still see which issues occur.
                2000 MGM LS

Comment

That's a big step!

When they check the brakes, get the front end checked also...Should be free...
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The shake in the wheel with the whump-whump sound could be an out of round tire. Jack the car up so the tire is off the ground and give it a spin. You'll see any odd out of roundness. Being off balance can possibly cause this too, as can bad tires, or in severe cases warped rotors. Mostly the rotors would only show themselves when you had your foot on the brake tho.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bad brakes (rotors may be out of round and the pads are worn)
                      out of round tires
                      tie rod ends and ball joints may be out of grease (non greasible on newer models)
                      idler arm may be toast
                      check the sway bar links

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If the wheel balance is off it will only shake between 55-66 mph.
                        1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                        FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

I have to disagree there. I don't know what makes you think that, but an out of balance wheel will shake where ever it darn well pleases. If it's out of balance enough it'll shake down in the 30mph range. And an out of balance wheel does not stop vibrating as you go faster.

Comment

I agree it never stops shaking, but it is most pronounced at highway speeds A one ounce wheel weight has little effect at 30mph, centrifugal force causes the weights to affect the wheels at higher speeds, if a wheel shakes at 30mph, it's probably bent. Out-of-balance tires will usually cause vibration between 50 and 70 mph. A tire is out of balance when one section of the tire is heavier than the others. One ounce of imbalance on a front tire is enough to cause a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at about 60 mph, but it causes only half the vibration at 30mph….so a shimmy at thirty shouldn’t be corrected with wheel weights. My family has been in the tire business for 34 years, and just about every tech seminar I have ever attended has provided similar information. As far as higher speeds (70 mph and up) harmonics come into play…lessening the shaking sensation.
                            1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                            FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

My baja claws shook at 100 mph on brand new wheels balanced or not.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X