94 marquis won't shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 marquis won't shift

my car won't shift into gear .. i've checked the shift tube and its fine .. anything else to check ?

linkages under the car? remove cover from steering column and make sure nothing has come loose and is inhibiting the shifter from moving. I think I recall someone mentioning a screw or something that worked loose but I don't remember it was a while ago on a different board.
    93 Town Car Cartier 150k mi
    01 CVPI, (Count Blackula)155k mi

Comment

The shifter moves through the whole range, but the transmission doesn't engage?

- or -

Does the shifter come out of park?

Ray
      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

clicks in park on the colum but linkage dos'nt move on tranny ..

Comment

I was just able to jack the car up on all 4 and get under it while running and maunualy shift it into gear .. took it off jacks while in gear and drove around and seemed to be fine just unable to shift from the colum

I have a steep drive way has anyone heard of the cable breaking that goes from shift tube to trans ?

Could this be a good reasson to fabricate a floor shifter ? humm ....

Comment

I got under it for a better look this morning and the cable houseing has split apart not breaking the cable inside , but is'nt allowing it to work .. i'll post pics tommorw .. good ol ford product ...

Comment

Yeah the cables can break. Hey its 12 years old, stuff happens. teamfordparts.com should be able to get you the replacement, and so can the local dealership if yours isn't staffed by idiots.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea i replaced a split cable on a ford truck recently
                try teamfordparts.com for the cable mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The cables in our work trucks were notorious for that shit.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                  2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

Working...
                  X