how do you flush power steering fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you flush power steering fluid?

hey guys I was woundering how do you flush the power steering? I was hearing that you have to pop off the return line. then just keep puring the fluid untill it's clear. does it matter if I have a power steering cooler?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

nope - just take it loose after the cooler. Dont let it run dry though... thats bad for it. Get some BIG bottles of fluid and have a helper ready. After you start let it go down to the bottom of the filler neck, then pour in at a steady pace to keep it just full. You will need to turn the wheel a little bit to get the freshness into all the passages.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Go to a truck parts supply medium heavy they have it in gallons
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Its just transmission fluid anyway. No need to go anywhere special to pick it up, dexron III is avaliable in gallons at Wal Mart. If you want to not make a huge ass mess, I would suggest pulling the belt off and turning the pump by hand, or unplugging the coil wire and using the starter. Free flow on the pump is something like 3.4 gallons per minute, so it will come out awful darn fast if you do this with the engine running. Might also be a good idea to replace the return line with new trans cooler line while you've got it apart. Often that stuff gets hard with age and once you disturb it, it doesn't always like to seal up.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lol, I never thought about removing the belt, I had the engine running on my and the only thing that saved me from flooding the garage with ATF was the fact that the car was up on the hoist and PS return line was stuck down into the drain jug's neck. Nex time I'll do the manual turning, but how often are we supposed to flush the thing anyways?

Comment

I'll do manual way

Comment

I don't use tranny fluid in the steering whats the difference if any?
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I did manual way took belt off and flushed it. I also put new lines from the cooler and the return line also. thanks to gadget for giving me idea because if the engine would of run it would be messy as shit thanks mang

Comment

You can do it all those ways or pay 59.99 and they have a machine that ill do it too.... 2 lines one vac and one pump go into the pump where u fill it. turn it on and start up your car. turn your wheel back and forth untill the fluid comes out fresh.... no mess no labor.... me likey
                  1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Same as a t-tech service...Neat concept, way too pricey.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                    X