Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Suburban vs. 1989 Colony Park

Dear Gurus,
    Last weekend we made a routine 7 1/2 hr run to Lexington Ky with our trial dogs - this time as guests in a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban - the luxury model with a GPS, video recorder for the back seat - every bell and whistle.
    Usually when we make this run, we travel in the Boulevard Cruiser, the (modified) 1989 Colony Park.
    Comparison:
    Comfort: Essentially no difference though heated seats in the Suburban were nice. The BC’s contractor’s console was better than the Suburban’s trays and pockets
    Luxury: Although the Suburban had CD’s, a cassette player, radio and video, I’d rather have the Boulevard Cruiser’s MP3’s. I did like the Suburban’s temp/compass mirror. The GPS would be wonderful if we were traveling through cities but sheepdog trials are usually in the remote countryside and the GPS is less likely to get you there than MapQuest and Directions. No difference.
    Performance: No difference.
    Handling: No difference. The Suburban has the advantage of better brakes, bigger tires and more advanced steering but it’s a heavy, boxy creature and too high off the road.
    Safety: The Suburban is likelier to roll or get caught by wind. The Boulevard Cruiser gets more road splash and has no airbags, front or side. Advantage: Suburban.
    Economy: We stopped at the same number of gas stops (4) and filled up.. The difference is that the Suburban has a 25 gallon tank. I figure the Suburban gets about 13.5 mpg while the Cruiser gets 21. Advantage: Cruiser.
    Bad driving conditions. The 4wd drive Suburban is more convenient than the Cruiser with limited slip and chains. Advantage: Suburban
    Cost: Edmunds prices the Suburban, as equipped at 26k and the Cruiser, as equipped at 2.6 k. I figure I have 5 K in it too which though unrecoverable is a real cost. Total 7.6k. Advantage: Cruiser

Donald McCaig

The cruiser nuked the scuburban! :headbang:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

wagons live!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

As weird as it sounds...I have not found a suitable replacement for the CV/GM wagons....I can buy a new vehicle anytime I want, but I simply cannot find WHAT I want in anything out there on the market.
        Example?

I test drove the first exciting thing to come into the wagon market since....well, since Pontiac accidentally built a handful of 1972 GTO station wagons....the new Dodge Magnum.
        I drove a hemi version, black...loaded...etc....my impression? This car hauls ass, and it is certainly a cool car inside (basically a chrysler 300C with a couple less options and the extended greenhouse)....BUT; I can't see out of it. In their effort to get a car out that is the newest thing in aero efficency, the windshield pillar blocks 20% of the forward view. Right about where you wouldn't be able to see a kid darting out into a street. The rear view is also horrible. With the pinched glass....you can see a mail slot when you are looking into the center rear view mirror.
        I don't think so.
        Nice car, but I quit driving 1971-1973 Mustangs for a reason.

The only thing that might be compatible with me in future years, is the Ford Fairlane concept station wagon. It actually resembles a wagon, with upright glass...suicide rear doors (I know that will never make it into production, but hey, I can dream)....until then, I will continue to scout out fresher CV/GM wagons to drive, until it becomes financially unfeasible to do so.

Late

Comment

the ford wagons are the greatest! can we get pics of this failane concept?...and post them in the waggin forum!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
            the ford wagons are the greatest! can we get pics of this failane concept?...and post them in the waggin forum!
            Yes....here is a link:
            http://www.autoextremist.com/NAIAS2005/Ford/index.html

These pics are from the North American International Auto show in Detroit...scroll down to find the Fairlane concept. There is some buzz that they may actually try to build it.

Comment

looks like ford will be going back to there wagon roots!

Comment

Excursion fuckers EXCURSION!!!!
                2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

try a towncar drivers side mirror if you want the outside tempature.......mine has it!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

A stock 86 towncar mirror shows the outside temp? Is it heated?
                    Donald McCaig

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec
                      A stock 86 towncar mirror shows the outside temp? Is it heated?
                      Donald McCaig
                      yes yes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

For a factory wagon, GM has the benchmark with the Roadmaster and Caprice Classic wagons from 1994 to 1996. LT-1 350 and a 5000lb rated tow package with automatic leveling air bags instead of springs in the rear. 25MPG highway!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blazingstang
                          Excursion fuckers EXCURSION!!!!
                          Excursions rock for a truck, but they are pretty big compared to a wagon.

Comment

If the huge oversized SUV is your pleasure then the Excursion is the ONLY way to go. This post does show how much crap is put into cars today though. No woner the cost 40G+! now with the Escalade ESV on the block, We just might see an xcusrion go Lincoln! That would be DA BOMB!

BTW Tom shouldnt this be in "Off Topic"?
                            2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

lincoln already has a replacement truck for their unpopular blackwood!

Comment

Working...
                              X