Please Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help!!!!!

Big problem... I somehow managed to kill all the power to the GM, i think i made some sort of direct short, nothing that linked to a fuse in the dash. All the power is gone, the battery is still good though, and all the fuses in the dash look fine. What else could be the problem? Is there a circiut breaker or something i need to check? Please make any suggestions, i have to be able to get to work in the morning and i have no idea what it could be. Thanks in advance,

-Mark

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Circuit breaker, you wish - all fusible links, when they're friend you replace them somehow. If battery is fine but nothing gets power I'd suspect it's a main power link, try the ones directly off the starter relay.

Comment

Well if you know the battery is good, then thats the place u wanna start... power is distributed from the battery main + lead to the starter solenoid make sure u got good connections at both points both battery and solenoid, power to the rest of the vehicle is distributed from the battery side of the starter solenoid via 3 or 4 other wires... these have the fusible links in them.... kinda look like a lego in the wire, pull on the leads, if they stretch like rubber band then the link is shot.... make sure u didnt lose your ground going from the - on the battery to the chassis, that will cause stupid shit too..... GOOD LUCK
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Well, of course this happened the night before my work week starts. I work 3 days in a row, 14 hour days so there is no time to do anything with my car. I wasn't able to fixit that night and had to bum rides to and from work Fri, Sat, & sun. Monday morning i was able to work on it. Turns out the previous owner at some point replaced the + wire to the power seat. Just a 14 guage wire going from the seat, with no fuse anywhere, then wedged into the empty 30amp fuse slot that is used for the tailgate window or something in wagons. So it shorted out and killed the power originally. I fixed that, then still had no power, was pretty pissed at this point, too pissed to stop and check obvious things. Came back to it later, wiggled the negative battery cable and sure enough i got power. Good call LtMercDaddy. At least i learned a few more things about car electronics. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mark

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

I have had that happen on all my cars. Very first thing I always do is take off both battery cables, clean them, and lube them with dielectric grease. It solves my problems 99.9% of the time. The terminals may look absolutely clean, but that doesn't mean they are.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

glad u got it fixed fatNasty..... I always start at the battery cuz thats where the power is coming from so why not start there. I returned a perfectly new starter once because the lead from the solenoid to the starter wasnt tight. betta watch those long cold morning cranks on those 20/yo wires, they like to get a little warm sometimes......
            1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

I taking automotive electricty at school. mang I hate electrical. glad to hear you got it fixed mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Electrical stuff is easy. Fuse links are annoying though. I had the TBL short against the smog plumbing on my motor and it fried one of the fuse links. Annoyingly, the fuse link it fried was the one that fed the dash, and the ECM. Of course it popped while I was driving down the road at night outside Chicago on my way to pick up a friend for dinner. Rigged it with speaker wire and away I went after pulling the fuse for the blower.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can you add an underhood fuse box there to replace the fusable links. I though i remember pete doing something like that but i cant find the thread now. If i can, thats going to be one of the next projects on my list.

Comment

bam!
                    glad you got it figured out mang

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3031

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That looks like what i want to do, but what size fuse should i use to replace each fusable link? And i also see you have each one labeled, what is each one of those fusable links for? Any info you have on how you did that would be helpful Pete(pics, diagrams, whatever). I have a good idea of what you did from that thread, just not specifics.

Comment

that one dead pic in the thread is a chart of wire colors, link sizes and fuse sizes i replaced them with.
                        Lemme try and find that
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

When I added power seats to the cop car I took the entire wire harness from the connectors up and they worked just fine try that next time you are in the yards.
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                          X