Repair Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair Questions

I have a 92 Grand Marquis. Took the car to the shop to be checked, the car was leaking coolant, oil and trans fluid. The radiator is leaking, no big deal I can replace that. The oil leak is because of the oil filter adapter gasket, I have never replaced this item before, how do you replace it and where do you purchase it? The trans leak (the real problem) is coming from the front trans seal. The transmission was slipping real bad in overdrive so I want to replace the trans, I was quoted a price of $1250 installed. Is the trans a real pain to replace on this car? Do you have to move a bunch of exhaust pipes or not? I really don't want to pay $1250 in repairs on a 13 year old car but if the trans job is a real pain then I will grin and bear it. What would be a fair price on a trans for this car? It has the electronic automatic overdrive. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

Dear Roadman77----
    I described the OFA replacement on your other, more specific thread. It is long but should help you out.

As far as the trans, $1250 isn't TOO bad, as long as you get a good tranny. A factory rebuild is not much more than that, but am unsure if that includes installation or not. I'd shop around a little.

As far as not wanting to spend money on an older car, you have to take a good look at it. I don't know how many miles you have, but you should really make a SIG and put it in there so people don't have to ask every time.
    Some of our cars look and drive unbelievable for their age. It mostly has to do with proper maintainece(sic).
    Some of them are abused, beat up and terribly maintained, although in my experience these are usually ex-fleet vehicles.
    One thing that saves us $$ is the stainless exhaust, it rarely needs a ton of work.
    So, you have to decide whether you are worthy of owning an American, 4-door, RWD, fullsize V8-powered monster, and what that is worth to you. Is it worth the cost of maintaining? Is it just a beater to get around town? Is it a low-mileage cream puff that SHOULD be maintained/restored to its original beauty?
    These are all things to think about. I have high mileage, and although my tranny will explode someday, I hope it is not soon. If you get a great tranny and it's decent money, then of course it is worth it if you get 200K out of it.
    It's all in how you look at it.

Good Luck,
    I have to go because my fingers are tired......from that OFA post
    Good Day
    1993 GM LS 244K
    29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
    All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Here is the car

Comment

Also, the 92 uses the "bastard block", a 5.0/5.8 bellhousing bolt pattern 4.6 block. So keep this in mind when looking for a trans. If you are good enough, you can buy a new AOD for around 800 bucks, and install it yourself. A good learning expirience, just make sure the TV and Shift linkage are hooked up correctly...
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Does my car still have a bastard block if it has the AODE tranny? I was made after Feb 18th, 1992. I hope that bastard block does not mean bastard to replace the tranny.

Comment

Wow, that is a sweet looking car, I LOVE the flat grille.......they finally got the GM grille right with the most recent ones (the in-between GMs were too curved at the top for my taste) but overall that car looks pretty SWEET. I'm not sure about the AODE/AOD thing. I know I have a AODE but haven't had to replace it yet(knock on wood) but was going to buy a '92 with the AOD just to swap trannies but was told that the bolt pattern is different.
            So, If you have the correct bolt pattern, then I guess you should look for an AODE, with a possible upgrade to a Wr407(I am hopless at remembering the model number of the later trans, my apologies) but I'm not sure about electronics/sensors/speedo gear. The person to talk about this is the tech administrator (I know he has a '93 like me, only HEAVILY modded). I know he has swapped motors/trannies and is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing.
            1993 GM LS 244K
            29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
            All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

If your car was built after the Feb. date, your right, you have the AODE and not the bastard block. That's gives you a couple transmission options:

Replacement AODE (late '92-'94). Straight forward R&R. Cheapest and quickest solution.

Upgrade to a 4R70W. ('95-'02) This requires minor modifications, but well worth the effort. Better low gear, stronger internals.

Dropping the exhaust makes swapping the transmission easier, but it's not required. (You'll want a nice selection of extensions and swivels though!)

Pricing will vary widely. Remanufactured units run anywhere from the $700-2000 range. Used are cheaper, but mileage and condition will vary. I'm sure you can get the job done for less than $1200+ if your going to do the work. $1250 installed isn't really terrible when your talking shop pricing though.

Ray
              Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
              Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

93 marquis...

Are those minor mods. purely electrical or what?
                1994 G/M white w. white and red interior. 34k

Good woman needed. must have plane and hangar. must cook, clean. aplicants please send a picture of your plane.

Comment

You have to:

1. Swap the tailhousings.

The AODE uses a smaller O.D. driveshaft yoke than the 4R70W. (You can use a the newer driveshaft and not change tailhousings if you prefer)

2. Re-use your original MLPS switch.

The MLPS (Manual Lever Positioning Switch) has to match the car.

3. Re-wire the main harness connector.

The directions for this can be found on the TCCOA website.

4. Swap shifter linkages.

This part changed in '95 when Ford went to the 4R70W.

5. Install the AODE TCC (Torque Converter Control) solenoid.

The AODE solenoid will fit the 4R70W transmission but you will have to modify the plug in connector.

You can skid steps 3 & 5 if you want to swap all of the AODE electronics into the 4R70W. Since you have to drop the pan anyway, it's not that much more work.
                  Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                  Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Working...
                  X