3.55 compared to 3.73, differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.55 compared to 3.73, differences?

k, ive been looking into swaping gears and from what ive read so far i think i need to do a 3.55, the 3.73 will give me more torque and accelerate quicker from stop, but i do travel on the interstate to work everyday so how do these compare, how does this affect the speedo, im not looking for alot of power but do want a little more accelleration capabilities. lemme know what ya think, and where i could gettem at a good price.
    also will this work for our cars
    ebay item # 7938606729
    gonna put one of those on to when i swap the gear
    thanks
    :merk:

with those wheels, Id go 3:73, you'll need all the help you can get.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yes go with 3.73's with those wheels and tires........how tall are the tires? theres a tire height /gear calculator out there somewhere

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

3.73's....They will be about the same as running a 3.27 with that diameter tire.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

id bet that with 3.73s and your tires you speedo would be pretty close.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

the tires are are 275/45/20, i was hoping that it would even out my speedo a bit, its way off at highway speeds, wheres the best place to get some?

Comment

yeah I would go with the 3.73

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Based on your tire size, which I calculated to have a 29.74" diameter, a 3.90 would work best for you (assuming that a 3.55-equivalent is your goal).

With a stock size tire, an increase from:

3.08 to 3.55 yields a 15.26% increase in RPMs.
                3.08 to 3.73 yields a 21.1% increase in RPMs.

With your tire size, after considering the tire size difference, an increase from:

3.08 to 3.73 yields a 9.9% increase in RPMs (compared to a 27" stock size tire). This is due to your tire diameter. If you have 3.08's now, you have a rear axle equivalent gear of 2.80 (as compared to a stock size tire).

So, with a 3.73, your not going to get the same result as a stock size tires that would equal a 3.55 change.

A 4.10 seems too much:

3.08 to 4.10 yields a 20.8% increase in RPMs (compared to a 27" stock size tire).

Although no offered by FRPP, a 3.90 looks best for you.

3.08 to 3.90 yields a 14.92% increase in RPMs (compared to a 27" stock size tire).

With this combo, you should be able to get a speedometer gear that is with 2 or 3 percent of exact (less than 2 MPH off).

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

wow, thanks for that info 89merc, 3.73 it is

Comment

Originally posted by 89GrandMarquis
                    A 4.10 seems too much:

3.08 to 4.10 yields a 20.8% increase in RPMs (compared to a 27" stock size tire).

4.10's are perfect for that tire size if you subscribe to the drivetrain harmonics paranoia crowd. You are turning 1% less RPMs than you would with a stock 27" tire and 3.73 gears. At 65MPH, you are only turning 2017RPMs. At 150MPH, you would only be turning 4655 in OD.

Comment

My point is: what was your goal?

If you are looking to get gearing that is close to our cars (with a 3.55), then use a 3.90.

I agree that if you are looking to get gearing that is close to our cars (with a 3.73), then get the 4.10.

It's up to you.

The crowd seems to be mixed - 3.55, 3.73 seem to be the most recommended for our cars (with "normal" tires), but certainly there are some that believe that 4.10s are the only way to go. Having just put in 3.55's, I'm liking them, and I now think that 3.73's would have been OK, too. No mileage numbers yet, so that will tell the tale, since my car is a daily driver, and I wanted some improvement without too big a hit on gas mileage, so I chose the 3.55's. Actually, saying that I "chose" them is not quite right. The 3.55's were left-overs from my E150 van upgrade to 4.10's. Free parts can really sway a decision sometimes.

Again, it's up to you and what is your goal.
                      Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 10-07-2006, 10:19 AM.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

One more thing......cost.
                        For mileage and investment, 3.73s are the best bargain.
                        The 3.90 gear is aftermarket only. The 3.90 gear is $100 more expensive new than a set of 4.10's and $85 more expensive than a 3.73 set. Used, 3.73 and 4.10's can be $150 or more cheaper.
                        With a stock engine, and if there were no price difference, the 3.90 gears would make sense.
                        The whole "speed costs money" thing definitely comes into play with 3.90 or 4.10 gears.

Comment

im not looking for speed, deffinatly not worried about top end, just trying to get some better accerleration due to added weight, i dont get good gas milage now, it was a daily driver but now i drive it 3-4 days a week so mostly better acceleration because i can feel it struggling when im pulling from a light. replacing the gear wont affect the idle rpm's will it?

Comment

I'd go with at least a 3.73. As mrltd said, it's equal to a 3.27 with P215/70-R15 stock tires.

The 4.10's would be equal to 3.73's with a stock tire.

They won't mess with your idle.
                            Last edited by Tiggie; 10-07-2006, 03:34 PM.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You need to measure the loaded radius of rear tire to be the most accurate in figuring gear ratio and speeds at RPMs.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X