3.55's are in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.55's are in!

Took the day off from work to finish my 3.55 install. Put in the extra clutches as well (four verus three per side).

Not hard, but sure took a long time. The hardest part was trying to get a good read on the pattern. I am not certain that the pattern was as good as I could get it, or for that matter, even adequate. This is the only part of the job that worried me.

I used the Heavy Duty pinion shims from FRPP (puts the shims behind the bearing cup). I liked that a lot, since I didn't have to press off/on the pinion bearing to change the pinion depth.

On the second try (0.024" pinion shims), the pattern seemed OK. Backlash was about 0.013" to 0.014". Went for a test ride, and I can't hear anything, so maybe I did it right.

I didn't notice much of a seat-of-the-pants change in acceleration, but maybe I will later. I only test drove it about five miles or so in town. The biggest difference is that I can now power-brake and smoke my 255's. My Lo-Po could never do that before! I put in 3.55's mainly because I put 4.10's in my E150 (paid someone to do that job ($200)) and it had 3.55's (with about 40k miles on them), so I considered it a freebie! But I wanted to do my own baby myself.

Now I just have to wait on my 20 tooth speedometer gear from Steeda (didn't order it till today).

One of the web-sites that I visited seemed to indicate that rear gears are pretty tolerant of being off a thousandth or two. What is your-alls experience with pattern being close or for that matter, reading the pattern successfully?
    Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

The 2 gear insntalls I have done I re-used the factory pinion shim with no problem, the pattern was perfect and no noise.

Your back lash is with-in spec, but a tad on the loose side. .006"-.008" is optimal
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
      Your back lash is with-in spec, but a tad on the loose side. .006"-.008" is optimal
      My Ford Factory service manual indicates that the "preferred" is 0.012" to 0.015".

I also just check the corral.net link on the same topic and it identifies .008" to .015" range.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Working...
      X