Taurus Fan Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taurus Fan Swap

Alright guys I'm not sure if this has been asked or explained but I'm strapped a bit for time so I'm just gonna ask what I need rather then search.

Anyway I grabbed an electric fan out of a 90's Taurus to put in the Merc. Can someone give me some guidance on how to hook it up? Should I just mount it into the radiator gills? Where should I splice in for a power source? Any help will be very appreciated.

~ Dave
    Resident diesel addict

you need to decide how you want to control the fan... always on - switched - thermostaicly controlled?

use a relay whatever you do, power it with a fused wire from the battery.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Wouldn't there be a way for me to have it come on when the car was started? I thought there were 12V wires that carried current when the ignition is onI could splice into or something? I'm not that intelligent when it comes to the electrical system. Also could I just use one of the spare Ford relays like the one for the Fuel pump or in the cluster that's located on right side of the engine bay towards the front? I have a ton of them. Your Guidance is much appreciated Pete.
      Resident diesel addict

Comment

Check out the 88/90 2.3 mustangs they have a electric fan at least my old one did you could use the wiring and the temp sending unit from that and just hook it up in your car with the newer fan. It dont hurt to try it
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Hmmm, that may be a possibility I saw a few 4-banger stangs at the yard didn't really check them out though.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

I bought a fan control kit from DCControl (www.dccontrol.com).

It is a little over $100, so you may not like this higher priced option.

I like it for several reasons:

1. It only runs the fan as fast as your situation needs. A relay is full on only.
            2. It has a soft-start feature - so it does not "hit" the electrical system as hard as a relay.
            3. When you turn on the A/C, it runs the fan at one-half speed.
            4. The kit comes with a fusible link and all wiring.

I tied mine to the stud on the starter solenoid. I also ran wires to the ignition and A/C wires.

I made some brackets to hang the fan on the radiator, I'll take some pics if you want.

Don't get me wrong - a mechanical thermostat and relay works fine, too. I had bought (then returned) a mechanical thermostat at Advance Auto. That, with a high current relay is all you need.

The dccontrol kit satisified the Engineer inside of me . . . and it does work fine, and is very quiet - no full speed fan noise for me . . . .

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Im using a 95+ Crown Vic electric fan and a early 90's Toyota pusher fan. the vic fan is 20" in diameter and cools my car just fine, the pusher is a secondary and will help to cool the second tranny cooler. Both fans runn through a relay and one 25 amp fuse.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

At Advance Auto (on-line), I found a Hayden Fan Controller (with an A/C input) for about $24.

It looks like it comes with an in-line fuse/holder, too. Per their catalog, it has the current capacity for your fan.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

I have noticed that the stock fan does not cool the radiator much but it helps a lil bit to keep the engine itself cool.

Comment

I just uploaded some pictures of my electric fan install.

See my car's thread in Reader's Rides (1989 Grand Marquis).

You may (or may not) like the hangers that I made for the install. It made the install a "drop in" installation. No drilling holes anywhere.
                    Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 10-08-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                      I have noticed that the stock fan does not cool the radiator much but it helps a lil bit to keep the engine itself cool.
                      What do you mean? I've heard that on vans, it is not a good idea to install an electric fan, because the engine will "bake" during low air flow conditions, when the fan is not running. Is this similar? I'm asking because my DCControl fan controller can be set to run at 10% all of the time - just wondering if I should do it . . . ?

Comment

Originally posted by 89GrandMarquis
                        What do you mean? I've heard that on vans, it is not a good idea to install an electric fan, because the engine will "bake" during low air flow conditions, when the fan is not running. Is this similar? I'm asking because my DCControl fan controller can be set to run at 10% all of the time - just wondering if I should do it . . . ?
                        both of my fans are on a switch, i turn them on once the motor is near operating temperature. I leave them on unless im cruising at 45+
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

no i ment teh belt drivn fan cools engun but noft radider muks sory had to clarify teht

Comment

yes you can wire it always on - use the coil/ignition wire you mentioned or any other switch wire to activate the relay.
                            The fan controller kit 89gm mentioned sounds good.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you don't mind 89Grandmarquis would you get me a link to that Kit from autozone? I think for now I'll just wire it to a normaly switch and run it like Deuce is for now. Doesn't matter much since the car isn't on the road and doesn't see a lot of run time right now.
                              Resident diesel addict

Comment

Working...
                              X