Power steering troubles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering troubles.

Alright guys here is my situation. My Gear box leaks from the Pittman arm seal, the car has done this since I got it, but she has also been sitting. Now my steering is rediculously stiff you have to muscle it to get it to move really. When the car is in motion it is better but not very much. I put some ATF in it when I first started bringing her back to life. That didn't seem to do much, besides leak out. I grabbed a bottle of penzoil? Power steering fluid with the leak stopper, it seemed to slow the leak a bit but the steering is still really stiff. So what is it guys? Did my Pump crap the bed? I was going to Take the gear box off but I can't loosenthe 3 bolts holding the damn thing to the frame I hit them with a 225lb. ft Impact gun that didn't even touch them after a kroil soaking. so I'm hoping it's the pump I can live with the leak and I'm pretty sure I could replace that seal with the box still on the car? I ordered a Haynes manual which will hopefully be in tomorrow which will help me a lot in my quest with this car. I just need some guidance with the power steering issue.

Thanks, Dave
    Resident diesel addict

How bad does it leak? If its really pissing fluid, it might just not be building enough pressure internally to function. If you put the engine in neutral and rev it some, does the steering become easier? If so it sounds like it could be the pump getting weak. If not, the rotary valve in the steering gear might have shit the bed. Usually the steering boxes will just develop slop in them and start leaking, they don't seem to actually stop steering unless its got some internal binding going on. Was the system totally dry? If so you'll need to make sure the air is burped out before it'll work properly. Usually I put it up on stands, idle the engine and turn the wheel slowly from stop to stop, adding fluid as needed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright I'll try liftin' up the front end and doing that. The leak isn't real bad but it is bad enough where the system will completely bleed out over the course of about a week it doesn't seem to bad anymore while the car is in motion but it is still pretty stiff I think for a power steering system. But I'll try what you said and let you know.
      Resident diesel addict

Comment

I'm having the same leaking steering box problem. It squeals wicked loud when it's cold. If I turn it lock to lock, it helps a little but I still get the squeal. I've been using Lucus power steering leak stop, but no luck. This stuff is as thick as maple syrup, but it still leaks. I'm probably going to have to replace the steering pump.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

na: tighten or replace your belt
          fgp:sounds like the ps pump shit the bed......probably close to 18 yrs old.....the pitman seal can be replaced, you need a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm, ant the seal can be replaced with the box in the car.....just make sure that theres not excessive play in the steering box itself.....if there is and it needs to be replaced, youre gonna need a 1/2" breaker bar to get those steering box bolts free......that 225 ft lb air gun you mentioned is a toy......my snap-on 3/8" impact has 375 ft lbs of torque lol and my big gun has 650 ft lbs of torque

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dave: Sorry for the .

Scott: It's only the belt, not the pump?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

mostlikely........boxman just replaced a newer belt cause it wouldnt stop squealing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

depends if its belt squeal or power steering pump moan. If the pump moans loudly, its probably from air. If its a high pitch shriek, the belt is slipping. Probably does it more in the cold morning because the fluid in the pump is harder to move, and the alternator is loaded up trying to charge the batt, plus the rubber is harder because its cold.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought my pitman seal was leaking but it was just a bad leak from the hose running down the gearbox.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                  X