'89 CV -- slipping trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'89 CV -- slipping trans

I can back the car out of the garage and drive down the block to the stop sign, no problem. When trying to take off from the stop sign, the car sits and revs, then it will catch. After that, it seems to drive fine. Fluid was a 1/3 of a quart low. A month ago the fluid level was just fine. I haven't been able to get under the car since the snow started falling today.

Any ideas as to what could be happening? The '91 did the exact same thing over the span of three winters. Each year, the slipping got worse and worse, until the front seal blew.

Low fluid and probably a failing pump
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Morning sickness. The fluid gets thicker in the cold weather and the tired pump can't move it as effectively. Let it warm up for 5 minutes or so before trying to move it and it will be happier.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't slip this morning with the fluid added. I'm going to bump up the tv pressure a bit. It's taking OD at 43mph.

Comment

Bumped the TV pressure up . . . quite a bit. When I did the max/min/mid markings, I found that the CV had been running at the minimum mark. I set it just a hair above the mid point and, wow, what a difference. The shifts are crisp and you actually feel them now. It holds the gears better, too. OD now kicks in at 53mph at the earliest.

Scott, thanks a bunch for the info. I may check the '91's TV pressure also.

Comment

Justin, how are your downshifts? I had my tranny set to max pressure and it was downshifting from OD under very light throttle, so that rendered the OD pretty much unusable in anything but highway driving. I back the cable off 1mm and now tranny can go into OD as early as 50mph when I take my foot completely off the gas, under light acceleration it hits 60 before upshifting, and is not so freakin sensitive when it comes to downshifting. If you feel like fiddling with it try that setting (1-1.5mm before max TV pressure) and see how you like it.

Comment

Mine is around 2mm below max. OD isn't too touchy, but it shifts down much sooner/quicker now without having to stomp the pedal. It should actually help on these hilly ND highways. I'll have to get it out on the highway for some testing. The shifting has been much better when driving around town.

Comment

Working...
              X