5.0 w/ a carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 w/ a carb?

hey guys my dad is looking at a new merc wagon. its an 88, we found it on the internet. http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ategory=&CAT=1.

dad went to see it opened the hood and saw a carb. i thought that the last year of the carb was 85. 86-91 had the 5.0 efi.

the only thing i could think of is that the engine is a 5.8. even so doesn;t it come with efi aswell?

am i loosing my mind or am i right. there should not be a carb under that hood.

any help would be great thanks simon.

linky doesnt work.

in merks, 351Ws with a carb were made in canada. The older 302s also had carbs.

Welcome to GMN!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

its possable that it has a 5.8L witch would have a carb(you cold get a 5.8 with EFI) its also a possibility that someone did some modifying to the car. does the car have a towing package? this will help me give you a better answer. and also do a free carfax check on the VIN on the car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the add says that it has a 5.0 302. the engine was rebuilt by ford, has 30000 km on it. it is from alberta. (we're in ontario)

this is what;s making me frustrated. like i said i thought that the last year of the 5.0 with a carb was 85.

i don;t know about the trailer package. it is an LS, but a cheap one. i doesn;t power antenna, the air shocks, heated wind sheild, leather.

any help again would be great. thanks simon

Comment

the info also states that the car had a factory installed engine so, its possible that the owner upgraded!

Comment

wouldn;t it be a downgrade from the efi? the 5.8 wasn;t all that good from what i hear.

some argue that the 5.0 is the best engine ford has ever made.

how/why would he do such a odd thing?

i have never heard of a 5.0 with a carb on an 88.

no clue. frustrating

Comment

No car with a 5.8 had EFI. The only 5.8 EFI was in a truck.

Comment

so let me get this straight, the 5.8 in the 88 wagons have a carb.

since the add says that the car has the 5.0 shouldn;t the car have efi? the carb wasn;t an option in 88 w/ the 5.0 was it?

the car doesn;t have a trailer package by the way marquisman.

thanks for your help. simon

Comment

the 351w looks like a 302 but is about an inch wider........compare the intake manifold width to a known 302
                  scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

is the 5.8 w/ the carb a good engine? i always thought that the 5.0 efi was better.

what are everyones thoughts?

please and thanks simon

Comment

The 5.8 w/carb is better than the CV/GM 5.0 all around with the exception of lacking a roller cam. The efficiency of the H.O. 5.0 is more than the 5.8 carb.

Comment

ok so this is the car:

88 merq wagon. LS, no air shocks,no power antenna,no heated windsheild,no leather

it (according to the owner) has the 302. it also has a carb not efi. that car had the engine rebuilt and since then has 30000 km on it. there is 1 small patch of rust on it. near the bottom of the car. everything electronically works.

it is supposed to nedd new cats and the wind shield has a crack in it. the owner wants 2300$ for it.

so dad would have to pay for the cats/wind sheild/the saftey and the emmisions test.

is this car worth 2300$?

opinions please and thanks simon

Comment

like i said, i would deeply consider it since you only want a wagon. maybe try to hagle the guy too...get it dow in to the 1900 to 2000 range.

Comment

Working...
                          X