X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lower the wagon 2.5 inches

wanna lower her how can I do that
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Probalby regular sedan springs.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Yeah, sedan springs on the rear, cut the fronts.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

NO!!! Do NOT replace the wagon springs with sedan ones! Sedan springs are softer, and while they will indeed lower the car they will also compress easier and if you take a speedbump or a railroad tracks crossing at higher speed they may bottom out and if you don't expect it you may lose control of the car. to properly lower the wagon you can either cut the stock springs it came with (shotens them and also stiffens them up a little, which is what you want) and install some police shocks, or replace springs with new ones that are softer and stiffer (may need heavier-valved shocks though). How much are you planning on spending on that project? Four new springs will run you between $120 and $200, while cutting stock springs is next to free

Comment

well my stock ones are shot rightn ow in the back but i intend on getting new ones for the rear cause i m doin a rear end swap so 200 is probly the budget i already have monroe shocks for the car
          sigpic
          1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
            NO!!! Do NOT replace the wagon springs with sedan ones! Sedan springs are softer, and while they will indeed lower the car they will also compress easier and if you take a speedbump or a railroad tracks crossing at higher speed they may bottom out and if you don't expect it you may lose control of the car. to properly lower the wagon you can either cut the stock springs it came with (shotens them and also stiffens them up a little, which is what you want) and install some police shocks, or replace springs with new ones that are softer and stiffer (may need heavier-valved shocks though). How much are you planning on spending on that project? Four new springs will run you between $120 and $200, while cutting stock springs is next to free

Yeah, cut the stock springs. Then you might notice that the stockers (rear) are double pigtail, and once you cut them one of the pigtails is gone. Then you need to make a new mounting plate for the spring....

As for the front, the stock ones are way too soft no matter what. And with a 2.5" drop you'll want to go with a much higher rate spring-and then cut it to the ride hieght you want.

Regardless of what you do, bottoming out and dragging the underside of the car on speedbumps will be something you'll just have to get used to.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
              Yeah, cut the stock springs. Then you might notice that the stockers (rear) are double pigtail, and once you cut them one of the pigtails is gone. Then you need to make a new mounting plate for the spring....
              Ahahahaha, I'm an idiot, completely forgot about that part - guess that's what happens if you post at 5am without any sleep before that, lol

And yes on the bottomong out part, stiff springs are the only thing that will save your ass there - oddly enough the 1050lb/in ones I have in the front now don't feel too stiff at all, however I have never bottomed out, even when jumping railroad tracks and bridges on dirt roads. So yeah, get new springs

Comment

i m probly not gunna lower it if i bottom out cause well i put alot of money on to the exhuast and im not going to ruin it
                sigpic

Comment

2.5 is too much anyway and will mess up suspension geometry... The springs that turbo, blaze, and I am using do a great job.

Comment

wat springs
                    sigpic

Comment

check the stickies my man...

Comment

ok thanx
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X