"Fasten Belts" light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fasten Belts" light problem

My fasten belts light is acting funky. Usually when you first start the car, the light comes on, then slowly fades out. When it's cold in the morning, the light comes on, and then stays one. Sometimes it starts to fade out, then comes back on all the way again. It will repeat this, or fade out completely. There are no wires leading to the seat buckles, haven't been able to find any cut or loose wires running to them. I'm thinking it's just a reminder light. But, why is it having this problem? It started this year, it used to work just fine. Is there a module or something somewhere that's going bad?
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

There's a wire for it under your seat. You could unplug it, but then it will be on. Just pull the bulb out. :p
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by boXman
      There's a wire for it under your seat. You could unplug it, but then it will be on.
      My Service Manual says that the Seat Belt Switch is OPEN with the seat belt in use. Therefore - if you unplug it, the light should stay out, since the Warning Chime Module sees the open circuit and "thinks" you have belted up.

The Warning Chime Module (on a Town Car) is located below the back of the radio, but under it (the back of the radio being towards the front of the car). One connector, couple of screws.

In looking at the Service Manual, there is no servicable parts, it's just a black box.

I first thought that if you don't want to deal with making it work, I'd just unplug it under the dash - but this same module also is the door open chime and headlights are on chime. I personally like that feature, so I don't recommend pulling it out.

If it were me, I'd leave the module in place, unplug the seat belt wire (under the seat).

If the dash light bothers me, I'd also either: cut the lamp wire at the Warning Chime Module plug; pull out the pin/wire from the plug; or pull out the lamp.

P.S. My 1989 Service Manual shows the wire to be Dark Green with a Light Green stripe.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Hmm...I thought mine came on when I unplugged it...
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

But like I said before, there is no wire, I've had my seats out before, there is no wire leading to the seatbelts.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

It's a small plug...Should be under the rug along the trans hump
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

GL, just a crazy idea - in that one TC that I found in the junkyard over the summer there was some kind of a switch under the driver's seat, it is used to tell something in the car if there is someone in the seat or not. Now my car didn't have it, and there's no harness to plug it in either, so I have no clue what purpose it serves, but maybe you have it and maybe it is related to the warning light trouble you have?

Comment

My fasten seatbelt light does the same as yours does. The steady on, sometimes fading on and off, but mostly on all the time. My problem was the seat buckle which I've still not been able to fix. In mine and probably most others, there is a wire that runs through the belt (very well disguised) to the buckle end, and there is two metal prongs inside the buckle that are depressed when the buckle is inserted. The problem was the wire broke where it goes into buckle (under some black plastic clip). I was at the yard and grabbed a buckle end from a TC that has the same plug and plugged it, and pushed the unused middle seat buckle into the the end and tucked it all under the seat. It hasn't solved the problem but I'll have to take another look at it.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

What about that chime mod you did, could that have fucked it up?
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Naw, I did that months ago, this started within the last 3 weeks or so
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

just take the dangone bulb out!
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well, I found a plug under the drivers seat next to the seatbelt, it's got two wires, but there's nothing to plug it into. I bridged the pins and looked to see if it had any effect on the belts light, no effect.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

My seat belt light comes on upon startup then goes out it does'nt really work I never think about it

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Open circuit GL. Not closed. Bridging wire would complete the circuit. Making it closed. Cut one of em.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

They were never connected in teh first place, so it's an open circuit anyway
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                              X