Damn boxes are fire hazards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn boxes are fire hazards...

The ignition switch, the headlight switch, now this..

Was pulling apart the steering column today, in my '89 Vic...pulled the plug out of the turn signal/high beam switch...

...ain't that nice?
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

What year is your car again? try and find a part a little newer that should help a bit that happend over here a while ago and the light switch burned too ..So far we had no more problems.....Good Luck with that!
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Was pulling apart the steering column today, in my '89 Vic
      Did you even read?
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

LOL im a ditts jus ignore that one
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

i like to look at the pictures.......dude automobiles arent designed to last this long.....it never caught on fire be glad......now everybody scurry to their car and check all wiring

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have worked on cars of all types. Let me tell you, if it was made after 1975 you WILL run into stuff like that.
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

I was driving my '64 Mustang before I sold it. The cigarette lighter shorted out... smoke rolled from under the dash... and a expensive '64 1/2 dash wiring harness was toasted. Didn't blow any fuses!

I haven't had an electrical problems yet, knock on wood, in my box.

The '84 Bronco II I worked on was a wiring nightmare. You get something finally working right again, and that causes something else to melt. Hacked wiring is my #1 turn off when buying a car.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The wiring systems on these cars are barely adequate, and with age they get worse. Relay the headlights and dont be concerned with it anymore. That plug should be fine on my car, or at least it was when I replaced the MF switch last year and when I had the column apart not that long ago.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

boxmang - is that red solid wire the one that goes to the one pin in that connector thats melted bad? I wanna find out what that is. Id guess its for high beams.
                  And hell yeah headlight relay/wiring upgrade should be manditory for boxes. Making a standalone harness for my headlights out of a junkyyard car's harness was pretty easy.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yea, the red wire is the one that melted it. Same as the headlight switch in my '88..
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

o.k. i'll be the dumb one. how do you do the wiring/relay upgrade to these tings i don't want mine to catch fire??? what do you get the parts from and how do you install 'em
                      sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

are you for real? the digi speedo master doent know how to wire headlights into realys???
                        just playin

You can either harvest or create a standalone wire harness for the headlights any way you want, then wire them so that they are powered right off the battery through the relay. Then just tap into the original wiring to activate the high/low beam relays. This will make it so only the small amount of current needed to throw the relays will flow through the headlight/highbeam switch.
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hy headlight switch connector looked like that as well

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

o.k. 85 cownyou got me on that one. i've just never been tempted to hack into someting as critical as the headlights before.if you f*ck up a cluster you replace a fuse and get a new cluster no biggie,but lights are a necessity.but if they're this much of a hazzard its worth looking into. thanks for all the info. oh and if santa's real nice to me this year and brings me a digi camera thats worth a hoot. i'll get pics of the fully functioning and installed cougar cluster in my car and i'll do a full right up with pictures for everyone
                            sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

thats the thing if you do it this way, you dont hack into the facotry wiring. If i wanted to I could unplug my added harness and plug the original harnes right back in and it will work.
                              I just unplugged the original wiring to the headlights, and plugged in the harness I made and wired it into the realys. Only place you have to touch the original wiring is to tap the high and low circuit to activate the relays with
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X