CFI Choke Part II! :-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI Choke Part II! :-D

Ok, umm i know theres not much on chokes. And i was hoping any one with any information around here. Might care to give it this way.. Id hate for anyone else to have such a problem as i do with mine..

Any one got pics of there CHOKE/TPS?

Or Even on a really good way to set the Idel/Curb Idel.

To me it's all the same. When RPM's go Sky High And stay there imo it's bad performance. Unless you got a racing engine.

ANy how. thanks for all the info that will be given :-D

O and that Meteal Washer that goes on the choke stuff/TPS is that Verry inportant? Cause i lost mine and just used to more other washer's. Any how

Thanks agine :-D

Dark
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

And any one know what the black hocky puck thing is? on the choke?

The name of it ), need to try and get one. but dont know what to ask for :-(
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight
      And any one know what the black hocky puck thing is? on the choke?

The name of it ), need to try and get one. but dont know what to ask for :-(
      choke thermostat

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks Mang :-D, Now it would make sence that that thing be broke. seeing it wont cut off after it warms up :-D

Comment

ill get that pic for you mang so its ideling too high now? could be the choke is not releasing cuz the thing isnt on right. also the hockey puck/ choke Tstat has some adjustment evidently Ive been meaning to experement with this. If i can fool myself into not remmebring daylight savings time untill after i wake up, im going to play with this in the morning (chilly)
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

SOmething else you should check before you replace the choke thermostat, make sure its getting power. There is an electric heating element inside the thermostat, and if it doesnt get power, it wont kick the choke out.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool, i will try and tell :-D will a umm test light work, or is a volt meter needed?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                SOmething else you should check before you replace the choke thermostat, make sure its getting power. There is an electric heating element inside the thermostat, and if it doesnt get power, it wont kick the choke out.

Ok, i checked the umm. VOlt's with a umm. VOlT meter and a umm, test light. it didint read any volts at all. So whats that mean?

Comment

It means its not getting power. Check the wiring and look for a break somewhere. I'm not sure what exactly those are powered off of, most carb engines it powers off the ignition coil's power wiring but I don't know for sure. Might need to check with someone who has an EVTM or a wiring diagram to find out where it should trace back to. Make sure the ground lead is good too if it has one. Some have just a single + wire, some have both a positive and a ground that goes somewhere. I'm not that familier with Ford choke thermostats so I don't really know for certain how its set up.

BTW, you were checking it with the motor running, or at least the key on, right?
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

10-4 on the engine running. and key on. Umm it goes into a group of wires and i loose track of it from there due to there wraped up in umm.a bunch of tape... Grr. is there any way i can just make a hot lead off of something to run it to there?

O and it's a one wire... No negative.

Thanks agine mang :-D

Dark

Comment

here u go mang hope these help
                      more to come later I have a video for you of how the choke is supposed to work
                      Attached Files
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sweet. The only thing difrent is the spring.. Now i have a preety dern good idea though of how it's suposed to go on ), o looks like your missing a washer :-P

Ooo, and that arm there in the backon mine it's not like that iot's behind instead of on top of that other arm )

Comment

Well mangs, the choke still dosent want to stop choking ) untill shes been driven for like 20 milles. Or i manualy undo it.

When i get more time ( works killing me atm ) Ima un ravel them taped up wires to see if i see Any breaks. Umm. Do them pot boung things break easy?
                          Could i get one in a junkyard?

And im also gonna get another Umm temputure thingy to ).

Just thought id update evreyone on my lack of progress with this. LOL

Comment

Ok, thought id share my lil updates with yea ). So i was playing with my vic agine today. And i traced that wire that goes to the Choke T Stat. And its good all the way to the end.. The end just fyi is i belive attached to something on the Volt reg. well any ways it was broke off... ::: Shakes fist ::: So.. i wd 40'ed it And striped that wire and pushed it back down in there and put elletricale tape on it..

The end result was as follows

The Idle Actualy came down on it's on without turning it off or manualy unsticking anything.

The tranny Wasent makking any hard shifts any more.

So Yay :-D

Any ways i do hope this helps someone else that might have that problem.

And it makes since to.

Due to When i bought the car it didnt do that high idle crap. Sticking what ever and then all of a sudden doing it..

Comment

Splice the wire in, just having it shoved in the connector will allow it to come apart. Glad you figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X