Front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brakes

I can hear and feel my front brakes "grind" when I come to a complete stop. I know I have to have them done soon. I'm not ready for the big brake upgrade right now, (I'm still running 15" rolling stock). What options do I have for better front brakes (I assume I have the regular 10" front brake)? Should I just spend the money and have the big brake upgrade done? Do I need 16" or larger wheels and tires?

Thanks

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

You have to have 16" wheels for the big brakes.

You could upgrade to the 92-97 brakes, that way when you go to big brakes most of the hard work is already done.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I thought I needed the 16" rolling stock. What front brake upgrades fits my 15" wheels? Can I just do brand new rotors and severe duty pads for now?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Boxes have 11" front brakes. You can upgrade the calipers and pads to "police" spec. Big brakes require 16" wheels.

If they are already grinding, you want to hurry up and get them done soon. If they go too far the rotors will be destroyed, and then that'll be more $$.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Advance Auto Parts has loaded brake capliers (Police application, severe-duty pads, metal piston) for $57 each (154146, 154147). I should get these brakes, correct?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

They are slightly better. If you don't want to replace the calipers, just get some decent pads for the non-pi.

Comment

I prefer "new" capliers.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I think he means that you may not need or want to replace them. If they aren't bad, not much point in buying new ones. The difference between the police and non-police ones are fairly marginal, mostly the piston material is different, and the piston diameter is supposed to be slightly larger. I doubt it makes a huge amount of difference, so unless you have bad calipers, its probably not really worth it. Also, what kind of pads do the loaded calipers come with? If they're cheap crap pads, I probably wouldn't use them anyway. I rather like ceramic brake pads. No noise, no mess, and they don't fade as quickly.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can do the 11 rear drums.

I have them on my Colony Park with 14 inch wheels, so I am sure they will fit yours. I just put new pads and a rotor and new (used from MrLtds upgrade) rear wheel cylinders. After adjusting up the brakes and bleeding the lines I am amazed how well mine stops now. Seems the rear grab alot more now, alot less nose dive.

MrLTD, are those brakes shoes from your swap anything special? I couldn't see swaping mins since they were like new.
                  Last edited by 85MercPark; 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM.
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS
                  2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                  1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                  Mercury Owners Group member
                  Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Ray, they are just stock replacement stuff. I think the car just had been serviced before I bought it.

NA, I meant if they aren't bad, it's not worth replacing. Especially since you are planning the big brake upgrade. Why spend money if you don't have to?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                      N A, I meant if they aren't bad, it's not worth replacing. Especially since you are planning the big brake upgrade. Why spend money if you don't have to?
                      Too late, I bought new rotors, capliers and pads today. I also bought a Dupli-Color caplier paint kit, (in red). I cleaned and painted the capliers earlier tonight. The new front brakes go on tomorrow.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

ricer....

Do you even have wheels with openings to see the calipers? I'm debating on painting the ones on the wagon. With the bullits, you can see everything behind the wheels, and rust looks bad.

Comment

I'm going to wait until the Spring, but I'm buying 17" or 18" five spoke wheels. I'm fed up with the 15" whitewalls and hub caps. Hopefully, I'll have rear disc brakes installed by that time.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Fed up with the classics ? Why? heehe. First thing I replaced on the wagon. Within a week after I bought the wagon it was rolling on the bullitts.

Comment

The sleeper image appeals to me very much. (If you look at my car, you don't see the X-Pipe, mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust or Flowmaster mufflers. No one will see the intake and cylinder heads in a few weeks either. I have to improve my baseline dyno numbers). Whitewalls and hub caps give the car the Grandpa-look. I'm no grandfather at 30 yr old, but maybe most people will just think all I did was wheels. (Grandpa's car can lay a patch at any intersection it wants).

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X