Home Paint Booth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Paint Booth?

Anyone know the suff I would need to build a paint boot at da house? There are no local restriction round here for this kinda thing. Always wanted to learn how to paint a car. With out resorting to Duplicolor spraycans!!!
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Prob some plastic sheeting, 2X4s, and a ventilation system of some sorts...

Buy that book on painting your own car...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I hope you aren't reffering to the Chilton manual or the Haynes book. Those are suckified.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

No, they got a book on "painting your own car"

Look for it in JC Whintney.

Then let me borrow it.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I agree. I bought one of those books, although it's aimed toward shops (with paint booths and all the right tools for the job) It will help with techniques and things. I plan on painting my car too. I need a bigger garage though.

Comment

Soak the floor down really well so that you don't stir up dust when you walk around. I used to have pics of an '88 F150 that my buddy's dad painted outside and all he did was dump a bunch of water on the ground. This truck looked absolutely beautiful too--(this guy has painted other cars though :slug: )

Dan

Comment

Here is a book. I have a similar one but older. Has some useful info.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=63702

Comment

First you'll want a really clean work area. Plastic sheets or similar will work to keep paint off the walls of wherever you're painting. You need excellent ventilation. Most good bodyshop paintbooth's have a downdraft system, where the air moves from the ceiling and is sucked in from the floor. This keeps dust trapped below the car, rather than stirring it up. A downdraft system probably won't be attainable for you or me. If you're working in a garage you're gonna want a fan moving air into the garage, and one exhausting it. You'll wanna build a baffle or something over the exhaust fan to keep the paint from blowing out onto other cars, or your neighbors house, or whatever. Most of all, you're gonna need ton's of light. 4 or 8 foot shoplights are good, you'll need several of em. Then a compressor, air filter/moisture trap, and a dessicant dryer if you can afford one, and of course a spraygun. Anything I left out?
                1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

1993 Sable: Ultra Beater

Comment

:hm: downdraft eh? box fan, clean sponge filter, and small slits cut into the plastic sheeting at the botom...would that work????? :coocoo:

Comment

box fans are your friends!
                    LTD is still here

Comment

Working...
                    X