High Performance Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Performance Brake Pads

Now that I wont have to pay someone else to do it Im gonna replace the front bearings and brake pads soon. What does everyone like for high perf. (I like to drive fast) brake pads? Was looking at Hawk brand for 91 a police LTD.
    Last edited by 91 LTD; 11-05-2006, 11:13 PM.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

hawk hps are good. I used them on my protege. Gonna get some for the wagon when I get some money.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Cool, thanks. Ive been very fortunate to have been working a lot this past month having picked up some side work as a stagehand, usually its paycheck to paycheck w/ very little to spare after all the bills are paid. Im way stoked about finally replacing the front brake pads AND doing it myself (w/ help from a friend).

Comment

The only problem with high performance pads is the amount of dust produced. It's a good bit more than standard pads.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have Performance Friction pads on the Lincoln, no complaints about fading or dust.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dust shmust, I just want to be able to stop as quickly as my puny little girlie man stock brakes will allow.

Comment

i like wagner thermoquiets

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                Dust shmust, I just want to be able to stop as quickly as my puny little girlie man stock brakes will allow.
                Those puny brakes aren't that bad actually, during emergency braking I've managed to scare the hell out of plenty people with newer cars Of course they can still use any extra help available, so yeah, screw the dust and get the performance.

Comment

My buddy's all fired up to help me do the fr. bearings and brakes so I went w/ ProStop Ceramics and some random bearings. Replacing the seals too. Install is tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                    My buddy's all fired up to help me do the fr. bearings and brakes so I went w/ ProStop Ceramics and some random bearings. Replacing the seals too. Install is tomorrow.
                    I try to stay with only Timken bearings, if i cant get those, then TRWs. Koyo's are nice too.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                      i like wagner thermoquiets

i'll vouch for these. i NEVER had any squeaking problems with these when we were still using them at the shop. our wagner suuplier skipped town so we had to find another source for pads. raybestos PG plus (blue box) are good, low dust, but nowhere near as good as the thermoquiets
                      LTD is still here

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                        I try to stay with only Timken bearings, if i cant get those, then TRWs. Koyo's are nice too.
                        Gonna return the random bearings and go w/ Timken. May or may not go w/ the Prostops. Found out its the Pepboys brand. Might doublecheck and see what else is avail. Any last minute advice on pad install/ bearings? Do I need anything else besides inner and outer bearings, seals and grease? New caliper bolt pins?
                        Last edited by 91 LTD; 11-14-2006, 12:28 AM.

Comment

There is a lube that you're supposed to use on the caliper pins, you can get it in little packages, its called disc brake lube or something. Its high temp stuff to keep the calipers from sticking to the pins. You don't need new caliper pins, just run the old ones on a wire wheel to make sure they're clean and lube them up.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Scotts old Thermoqiets only squeak when I apply the brakes lightly....Good pads, Ive been usin them for um...2 years?
                            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

prostops are decent but they dont last long

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X