X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Leak: Accumulator/Clutch switch

Car: 86 Town Car

My A/C was out of gas 4 weeks after my A/C shop fitted:

- brand new MOTORCRAFT A/C Clutch switch (Adjustable Pressure Switch)

to my

- 6 month old Accumulator (FOUR SEASONS brand).

He said it was leaking around the pressure switch thread (where it screws onto the accumulator).

Now ... both parts are virtually new. He said he could not get it to hold pressure and the dye test said that was the leak site.

My questions are:

1) There was no o-ring involved. Should there have been? What sort of seal is it? Just plastic-on-metal?

2) If it was me - I would have tried teflon tape on the male thread and maybe that would have fixed it. But the A/C guy dod not want to try that. Any suggestions/comments from you experts.

Rob the Aussie
    Last edited by RobClark; 11-07-2006, 07:48 AM.
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

No teflon, it might get into the system, and stop up the orfice tube. I guess you could use it carfully.

I think there should have been an o-ring up past the threads on inside the low-side cycle switch that you replaced. Sometimes they match the color of the plastic and you can miss them if you aren't careful.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think there is an O ring up inside the pressure switch where it screws on. It should just unthread and once its off it ought to hold pressure. There is a schraeder valve in there (like a tire stem valve) that will allow changing of the pressure switch on a charged system.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Received the following tpday:

- New pressure switch
        - New accumulator

No O-ring in Pressure switch.
        But .. when you remove the protective cap covering the shraeder valve on the side of the accumulator (where the pressure switch screws on)....there is an o-ring in the 'cap' ... and the cap in normally thrown away.

So - here is my best guess of what happed to my last install

- A/C shop installed accumulator. Threw away the cap (and o-ring!!!)
        - Installed pressure switch.
        - Held pressure for 4 weeks!

Grrrrr!

Rob the Aussie
        Rob the Aussie
        Photos
        Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
        (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
        Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

Hmm, you know I think I threw away the cap that came with mine too. I didn't replace the pressure switch though, and it doesnt appear to be leaking oil from around the switch so I think either it had an O ring in it already, or maybe I replaced it with the rest of the seals in the system. I do have a slight leak on one of the hoses though, so whenever it leaks down enough to stop working, I'll swap out the hoses with new.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X