is it hard to install a starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it hard to install a starter?

Hey mangs just woundering how hard is it to replace a starter Mine gave out today what socket size is needed? thanks guys are there any important things to know?
    Last edited by gabegt90; 11-20-2006, 12:27 AM.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

1/2 drive wrench/socket 2 bolts and the wire is held on with a 5/16 bolt. Very easy swap, hardest part is getting the car up in the air.

Oh while ur there I would get new battery cables and starter wire if they look nasty. Starter soleniod isnt a bad thing to replace either, I think they are like 10 bux

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Pretty much what he said. Its not that hard, just in a slightly awkward position when you're laying on the ground just because the stupid starter is kind of heavy and its a little hard to lift. If you have the frame braces up front, you have to move the starter around to get it out from between the front crossmember and the brace but thats it. Has to be tilted downward and it will pop right out.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I second those battery cables/starter cables. Mine were going and the car would lose power around corners, and not start randomly. Ended up breaking a tab off the starter replacing mine and had to get a new starter too.
        -Matt
        1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

It was a pain in the ass for my jeep when I replaced mine(Ford starter) but that was just cuz its 4WD. in vicky it was no big deal
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

thanks guys actually my starter was not bad it was my battery it was drained when I left the doors open when putting on the primer to let it dry it's all good now

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

LOL it happens
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I get about 20-30 mins with the doors open and the battery is flat. Its annoying. Need to swap those interior lights with LEDs so they don't die as quick. Towncars have too many friggin interior lights.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X