{ENGINE} intake manifold re-torque...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE} intake manifold re-torque...

SO, I understand you're supposed to re-torque the intake after you have it on the car and the car has been run up to operating temp. What I did was heat it up, take the upper off, re torque the lower, but none of the bolts seemed loose. SHould I have heated it up, let it cool and they retorque? Or was I right to do it when the engine was warm? SEems like I did it wrong because heat expands it, cooling it should contract it, loosening the bolts. Advice?

Well, fuck it, now I broke the driver's side door handle. Only opens from the inside now.

COCKSUCKERS!

Comment

you are supposed to be fixing shit, not breaking it!

I dont see how the engine temp would have anything to do with it, I would torque em down and go.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Let it cool off first before trying to retorque. This only applies if you actually use a torque wrench. Calibrated wrist method does not apply.

http://www.holley.com/TechDocs/Instr...ts/300-72S.pdf

Comment

Well, it's all back together and running. Now the cooling system is fux0red. Filled it up with coolant, ran it till the t-stat opened, started sucking down water like a $2 whore. Started warming up and then I get this banging noise coming from inside the radiator and the bottom hose is pulsating along with it. Drained the radiator (goodbye $16) to find nothing really wrong. Might I have a chunk of ice somewhere in the cooling system?

Comment

Hows the oil look?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Probably just air in the system. Assuming you bolted your thermostat in with the bottom (spring side) facing the engine. Just remove one of your heater hoses from the intake and fill the system (radiator) until the air is pushed out and water flows smoothly.
              Then top off the radiator. The sudden drop of the water level in the radiator definitely means air was in the system.

Comment

I think it was air too. After I refilled it I had no problems. Though the coolant doesn't seem to be circulating very fast I have heat and the engine doesn't appear to be overheating.

I did, however, manage to get a flat tire and bend the corner of the doorskin over backing it out of the garage. All is well, though. There's some rattling noise coming from the passenger's side exhaust pipe near the cat that sounds like a knock or a lifter when the engine is under heavy load, but I'mma change the oil and fugheddabout it.

Thanks all.

Comment

i never retorque intake gaskets........i usually add a few ft lbs when i'm putting them down the first time.......no time to remove the upper and retorque.......that is nuts lol..........do you think they remove the upper and retorque at the factory? i think not lol
                  scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                    i never retorque intake gaskets........i usually add a few ft lbs when i'm putting them down the first time.......no time to remove the upper and retorque.......that is nuts lol..........do you think they remove the upper and retorque at the factory? i think not lol
                    scott
                    You have to be careful with adding lbs to the torque of intake bolts. On any Windsor SB motor, you can actually unload head bolts which will cause head gasket failure.
                    This is one reason that Ford eliminated 2 bolts on 351W intakes over the years.

Comment

Very good points, Scott and Mercracer. Every time I re-torqued I didn't notice ANY loose bolts, so nuts to that. I'm just hoping and praying this car makes it through the winter.

Comment

i only add 2-3 ft lbs..........i'm doing better than most techs i see working, i watched a guy put heads and intake on an engine with an impact gun, some guys just dont care
                        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yikes... impact.

I think the difference was made this time because I RTVed the gaskets better (especially where the pitting on the intake was) and I used guide studs.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                            i only add 2-3 ft lbs..........i'm doing better than most techs i see working, i watched a guy put heads and intake on an engine with an impact gun, some guys just dont care
                            scott
                            Some guys should not be allowed to touch tools............ever!

Comment

impact tools, holy shit

that guy better stay the fuck away from my car,lol
                              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                              X