{ENGINE}Fan clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE}Fan clutch

My fan clutch sounds like teh bats in the garage attic. How much of a bitch is it to replace it? Do I want a thermal or non-thermal? One's $20 and one's $29. I'm guessing I want the thermal one, correct?

7/16 ratchet wrench makes removing the fan a breeze.

Comment

I guess I could take the blade off, then the clutch assembly. I was worried about how I'd hold the fan secure when removing the blade from the clutch.

Comment

The blade does not rotate seperate from the clutch, so it is not a problem.

Comment

ok i'll run you thru this
          7/16" wrench.......if the belt is tight enough, you will be able to break the 4 bolts free that hold the fan clutch to the water pump
          a little trick i use to keep the pulley aligned with the pums is to take two 5/16" 1 1/2" bolts and cut the heads off and use them as studs to keep it all aligned........makes the job super quick, trust me.
          take the two fan shroud bolts out and lift shroud and fan off, being careful not to damage the radiator (i have done once lol)
          when you have the fan out, unbolt the fan bolts, and install the fan on the new clutch
          put it back together, dont put the fan on and expect the shroud to fit, it wont lol.........slip the two pieces in at the same time

try to find a hayden fan clutch, i believe i have non thermal.....i dont think it makes much of a dirrerence
          good luck!
          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm going electric on teh vic. Fordinator did a nice swap out of a 95-97 vic that looked factory. Ange's fan clutch is fucked on her car Im just gonna take the whole fan off tho cause 95-97 CV GM TC had electric and mechanical and the mechanical isn't really needed.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
            X