oil leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak!

this is in regards to my 91' GM LSS, this morning when my bro started up the car it started reving high and the rpm's did not kick down one bit, then i noticed oil comming from somewhere from the engine around the passenger side by the motor mount. is there a oil pressure sender unit around there or what could of blowen? i have never experienced this problem before. the car runs pretty good still, it jus has a high idle now and is spraying oil on the exaust manifold. opinions would be great, thnx in advance.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Transmission cooler lines run through there, and valve covers commonly leak, but I can't think of any obvious sources of engine oil which would spray in that area

Comment

ok, now im really frustrated...wtf could be wrong here? i heard of oil senders spliting and stuff but, i cant remember witch side its on.

Comment

oil pressure sender = drivers side

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

it's probably a leaking valve cover gasket.....theres nothing else over there to leak........the cork gaskets get rock hard, and then the oil passes thru.........replace em with felpro permadry gaskets
          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

now this is somethin to laugh at, lol...it turns out that the oil filter was a bit loose! i cant figure out why considering that i did the oil change 2 months ago. the oil thing is fixed but, also i did a comp scan on this car and it gave me 2 codes, one was for a coolant temp sensor and another for the EGR valve. i replaced the sensor and EGR-potentiometer. i did another scan to see what happens, and the temp sensor is code is gone but, the EGR is still being a bitch(the code reads as the "EGR isent opening properly" and i was wondering if the vac solonoid is the culprate? what else could be wrong?thnx ind advance.

Comment

but.... the oil filter isnt on the passenger side :coocoo:
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

EGR and oli leak

It was probably squirting oil across to the other side of the engine, under the car...

I just went thru all of what you going through with the EGR... There is three sensors or what ever that has to do with the EGR... There is the EGR plunger valve, that lets the EGR open and close.. it is mounted to the front of the EGR with three bolts.. then there is a vacume vlave that is mounted on the front of the intake plenum, just to the left of the EGR.. (The vacume hose from the EGR goes to it) Then there is the EGR itself... It could be bad.. hook up a vacume device to it, and see if it opens and closes... (You can close it to the point the enigine starts to die) The other thing is, take it off, (the EGR) and make sure it isn't all gummed up... if it is clean it with some carb cleaner.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

the EGR and the plunger(what i call a voltage potentiometer) have jus been replaced so im gonna look at the vac solinoid to see if its the bitch! and the oil that was leaking looked like it was flowing around the seam of the oil pan and then the fan was throwing it around.

Comment

I see the oil problem was solved.... but I was going to say that my 302 leaks oil from the back of the intake manifold and burns back there. And I probably have leaky valve cover gaskets.... but I only have to add a quart to mayber a quart and a quarter between oil changes, and the only oil that I can see/smell burning is in the engine compartment, my exhaust has given me no signs that abnormal ammounts oil are burning in the cylinders.

And on EGR issues, a few of years ago (when my brother still drove it, and when I just first started driving it) mine used to get deposits of carbon crap built up in it, holding the plunger open. That is easily fixed with a vacuum pump and an air compressor. Strangely though, that hasn't happend since maybe my first year of having a driver's license... sometimes I wonder if it's because I spend a lot more time at WOT than my bro did... but I don't know if that would really effect EGR valve carbon deposit build up or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X