Door Lightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lightening

Ok, I have decided that 2dr Doors are fucking heavy.

My solution? Do what some racers do to trunklids and the like, and take a holesaw to the internal part of the door.

This will save some weight, and put less stress on those hinges...

What does everyone think?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

How big of a hole saw? And how many holes? There's quite a bit missing anyway, under the door panels.

Comment

I'm not sure how safe that would actually be. I mean yes, it would lighten the door, but how much to remove before the door starts to collapse in on itself. You need to worry about the structure of it. I know how big doors are, I had a Ford Probe (please, no but jokes), that was a good car to me and it had some huge doors. Mine had open windows though, you know, nothing for the window to go into when open. I had to actually replace the hinges on them. I accidentally backed into a snow pile after helping my neighbor jump start his truck. The best way I found to do it, BTW I was all alone on this, was to take a couple jackstands and a lift to keep the door up. All you would have to do is make sure that it is level when on the stands... but your not replacing the whole hinge... are you? That pretty much makes what I said N/A... Well... maybe my babling will help someone... man, is work boring.
      *To a Circus Theme*
      I like chicken, lots a chicken.
      I like chicken, lots a chicken.
      Chick chicka chicken.
      Chick chicka chicken.
      Drudadrudadruda drumstick.

Now this is some sig abuse!
      *NOTE: Work is very boring*

Comment

I dont think the door will collapse.

The damn ting is a big chunk of steel, and has some sort of internal framework...

a couple holes where the support welds are NOT wouldnt hurt, im sure...

Comment

You're not gonna loose enough weight to make a big enough of a difference I dont' know. I wouldn't waste my time doing it, but it's up to you if you want to. You are the masta. :rock:

-Jeff-
          My CarDomain Page
          2002 P74
          Arizona Beige
          20% Tints All Around
          Tinted Tailights
          Clear Corners
          Sound System
          Leather Interior

Comment

not worth it

at the most you'll lose about 3# per door.

SuperFord Profile
            Support safe sigs

-sigs should not exceed 600 pixels wide
            -sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
            -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping
            -Total sig size should not exceed 60k
            Remember, only you can prevent sig abuse....

Comment

Which is absolutely nothing, which is my point. Isn't it like, 100 pounds per 10th of a second quarter mile or something. I don't know, but the little you're going to loose isn't going to make much of a difference. But, you could of course always try to prove us wrong.

-Jeff-
              My CarDomain Page
              2002 P74
              Arizona Beige
              20% Tints All Around
              Tinted Tailights
              Clear Corners
              Sound System
              Leather Interior

Comment

Its not for performance, I just want to make em weight a little less, cause the niges are screaming "HELP ME!!!" with all that weight!!!

Comment

You'd probalby have better luck drilling holes in your hood. And then fiberglassing over them or something. Big holes. "Speed holes," as homer simpson calls them... although in his mind I'm pretty sure he was assuming they would give less air resistance.

Heh... you could probalby just cut some nice square holes, leaving a "grid" of some kind, just almost like a wireframe of what your hood would look like, and then fiberglass over it. That would probably take out alot of weight. Or just make a whole new hood. Out of fiberglass.

Fiberglass this. Fiberglass that. My good buddy fiberglass.

As far as 100 pounds of weight subtraction... I can tell a noticable difference in accelleration from a full tank of fuel and a nearly empty tank of fuel... and 18 gallons of fuel weighs arround 100 pounds, I think. And with 100 pounds less weight back there, it's easier to spin a tire, too.

Comment

18 gallons of gas=...

111.888lbs. if your using regular.

114.3lbs if you running premium.

reg. 6.216
                    pre. 6.35

Isn't it strange how premium weighs more.

but this is all way off topic. Such as the hood deal, since he's wanting to cut off the weight of the doors to put less stress on the hinges.

Tom, It's time for aluminum door panels or truck hinges that'll are compatible.

Comment

just replace the pins and bushings and lube often........my 78 cougar doors were just as huge

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Jackup-

That seems like useless data, about the gasoline wieght, but at the same time, useful. Strange.

That is going in the vault!

*Points to head*
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I would just fix the hinges and keep em nice and lubed. Your other door works fine after 20 years...The driver's door only sags cause of tons of use, and I'm sure from people treating it bad(slamming the door and such). Just replace your stuff make sure the door is aligned correctly, then you should be all good. :slug:

Comment

Doors, You don't need no stinking doors! Just get rid of em and replace with a canvas substitue like a jeep has!!

Comment

I hate it when people slam my doors. I want to kill them. Maybe I will.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X