sound system overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound system overhaul

Hey guys I'm planning to go with a much better stereo setup for Anabelle. I'm getting a 400-500watt 4 channel amp for the front door speakers and rear decklid speakers. Should I run all new thicker wires from the radio harness to the speakers? If so what size? And for the 5" dash speakers, do they need better wiring as well? Any other comments/recommendations are welcome. I plan on replacing my crap alternator also.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

are you going to run any subs
    i have a 4 channel amp running the rear deck speakers and the door and dash speakers, and a 2 channel amp running two 12" subs.............i ran 3 sets of rca's to the trunk mounted amps......the speaker wiring comes off the amps, i used 14 gauge speaker wire, one pair to the rear deck speakers, one pr to the subs, and one pair to the front 4 speakers....i have it split up to go to the door and dash speakers under the dash.......only speakers i have run off the head units internal amp are a pr of satelite tweeters.......sounds really good, excellent sound especially at the drive in theatre

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I ve got a 444w sony 4 channel amp never been used looking for 100 for it
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

you MUST upgrade the wires going to the speakers, even if you are not running them with an amp. Only an aftermarket head unit is alone too much for the wiring to handle.
        I was able to only run one set of RCA's to the trunk, because I opted to give up the front to rear fade ability, and my 4 channel amp has an unfiltered output you can use to run amp(s) for subs.
        Also, if they will be in a single box, run your subs in mono mode (both subs reproduce left and right) this way they dont ever fight each other and it sounds better IMO
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I've never run new wires...works fine for me.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I'm not planning on subs at the moment. Just a good amped 6 speaker system. What kind of speakers do you guys have? right now i have sony in mind and I also have a sony head unit with 52 wpch
            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

i have earthquake speakers in my towncar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

sorry but i m over pricing this amp if u want it pm me i would like 75 but i can do 50 i geuss if ur on a budget
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

personally, I rather pay 200.00 for a component speaker set 6 1/2" for the doors and remote tweeters. u could easily pay 200.00 for just the door speakers and dash speakers alone. with the component set u get a varible crossover, which is like a eq so u can adjust them independently....

also if u like music, ur gonna wanna speakers that play over a wide range of freq. most subwoofers play to 25hz or there are some component sets and 6 x 9"s that will go to 30-35hz.... also look for magnet weight, the heavier the magnent, the more decent the speaker will play....

id use gold plated rca's going from the head unit to the 4 channel amp, try to keep ur rca length down to a minimum and dont run it next to the power lead.
                  same thing with ur audio output from the amp to ur speakers or crossovers short as possible and away from power wires.... under the carpet is best, pull the carpet and add some sound deading material (rubberized undercoating, lizard skin)

drive around hwy speeds with no audio at all and see if u have leaks around your door jams and such.... SILENCE is GOOD........

when wiring ur door speakers, id soder them and u may wanna check into a speaker cup to place inside teh door panel to keep the elements away from your NEW speakers... other then that have at it....
                  1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

you have pm 83countrysquire

Comment

Boston Acoustics 3.5" dash speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6" door speakers, Kenwood 6x9" rear deck speakers all run direct off the stereo. 2 12" Pioneers in a bandpass in the trunk fed off a 600w Kenwood amp. The BA dash speakers were the only purchase. The Fosgates in the doors came from a parts car for free, the rear speakers I had sitting around out of my Beetle, and had been unused for a long time, same on the subs and amp. I do want an EQ to run the speakers off of so it has a little more power and the ability to tweak the sound to fit my tin ears.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have always been very pleased with Eclipse car audio. Their older stuff is audiophile quality. Newer stuff is cheaper, built cheaper, but still good quality.

www.eclipse-web.com

you can hit up ebay and look for "trading Circuit". This is actually circuit city on ebay. they sell alot of used/returned items. Everything is fully tested and disclosed in their auctions. I bought my 5x7s and 6x9s from them used and I couldn't be more happy. I have a premier CD Player as well and I like Eclipse and Rockford fosgate(old school) Amplifiers.
                        1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
                        TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Ironically today I just put in a new power acoustik 4 channel amp, I'm using the low level RCA inputs for now, I want to try the high level so I can keep my fade and balance working but it sounds good. It sounds much better when the stock head unit is clipping and speakers popping. My xplode 6x9's suprisingly have alot of thump.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I'd go Mb-Quart 6.5" Components in the doors. I heard a set in a friends car and they blew me away, so I went out and bought a set for my truck, that was a year and a half ago. Cant justify putting them in the Vic for some reason, maybe its cause they almost cost as much as the car. I have a set of Clarion 6x9's in my rear deck and they sound pretty decent, cant give you a model number, but they have like an aluminum weave for th woofer material and a big ass magnet. I dont have an amp in my car, but I didnt use the stock wiring, just bypassed it and the factory amp, ran all my own speaker wire, and just ran the speakers directly to the head unit wth a wiring harness.
                            sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                            Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                            Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                            1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

OK update: I have 4 new sony speakers, 6X9's with 100watts rms, and 55 watt rms 6 1/2's for the front. I bought 16 gauge wire to run to them. I am going to buy an amp soon and I have rockford fosgate RCA cables. any tips on running wires/ getting the best sound?

Comment

Working...
                              X