Update: Good & Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Good & Bad News

Well, the car is finally finished. It looks freakin awesome. The only thing left to do is to polish up the front two rims & the trim chore around the doors. Ill have pictures posted up soon.

But now the bad news. I went racing Saturday night. The first race since the new paint & everything. On the third pass, after I shifted into second, I hear a loud BOOM. It was so loud that it shook me in my seat. Then the car started smoking really bad & the windshield was covered in oil. After I got the car stopped, which wasnt easy because of oil on the slicks (which got me a little sideways) & loss of vacume to the brake booster, with it still on the track & out of the groove, I opened the hood to find the entire engine bay covered in oil. There is a good size hole in the oil pan and you can take the crankshaft pulley and move it a good 1½ inches in all directions. THAT SUCKS!!!!!

Are basic assumption is that the crankshaft broke because of how we can move the pulley. We also think that a rod might have also broke because of the size of the hole in the oil pan. Well take it apart this week. But as to what actually caused the parts to break, well figure out when we take it apart. We have a spare motor in the garage just for these situations, but it is about a 100 horsepower less the the one that broke. Ill post pics of the broken parts as I get them.

Oh well, well put in the spare & figure out our plans later.
    R.I.P. good ol' 347ci. You were a good one
    Last edited by TheBigBlueTank; 12-09-2006, 11:33 PM.
    Southern Fried Florida Cracker
    Not Your Average 450 Horsepower Grandma Car.
    2002, 2003, & 2006 Team Moroso Member

Sorry to hear about your engine. Are you gonna repair the engine and out it back in or just leave in the spare?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Broken parts are an excuse to upgrade. Drop a 514 in there. :evil:
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Im thinking that the lower end is so bad that it cant be fixed, but I wont know till I get it apart. The heads should be fine. Ill just drop in the spare motor for now to get to the next race, then worry about what to do with the other one later. Just from how bad the explosion was & seeing all that oil & the crank, Im not expecting anything to be salvageable. It was a pretty big BOOM.
        Southern Fried Florida Cracker
        Not Your Average 450 Horsepower Grandma Car.
        2002, 2003, & 2006 Team Moroso Member

Comment

LOL Supercharged 514!!! There you go...lol
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Go with a blown 408. One-up Phayzer.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

That sucks
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I'd stay NA if you can, I think they are more consistent. Maybe up to a 351 block since they are stronger, and put a not so extreme stroker kit in it. Like a 377/383.

Comment

that sucks mang hope the new one does'nt blow

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

That sucks mang. Was it a forged crank you broke? how many passes did you have on it? Crazy that the crank broke with that much power instead of the usual splitting of the block

Originally posted by 88Vic
                    Go with a blown 408. One-up Phayzer.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

What kinda RPM you turning with that? 28 or 50oz balance?

Check the block for splitting, your 450 is considered the limit for a 302, at that level the block is a bomb waiting to go off. If the block split then it probably caused the crank to break or vice-versa.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Bet the block cracked too....Lotta RPM and power is definately a timebomb in a stock block.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My sugestion for building a real hot 302 or 351 is to find a good block frome the 70s or earlier. They are much stronger. Add a forged crank and some good rods and they stay togeather for a log time been there done that. Turned 9000 RPMM in my 70 351W for years. These new blocks wont handle a 150 shot of NOS for long.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                          X