Heat out of front panel when on "defrost"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat out of front panel when on "defrost"

Last night my dad told me that when he would put the heater on defrost, it would act like it was on high/low. Sure enough, on my way to work, I had it on defrost, and heat was being split between the defroster and the panel vents. What's the deal with this?
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Could be a vaccuum leak, not enough vacuum to open the blend door all the way.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I know my '89 does this, but my coffee can on the fender isn't hooked up anymore.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

vaccum leak Mine blows heat out of window vents when I'm going up a hill or when I first get on the highway ramp

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Mine bleeds air out of the dash on all positions. I'm thinking in my case its deteriorated foam on one of the air doors causing a leak. As far as I can see, all the vacuum motors work fine on my car.

Vacuum leaks would show up by shifting the air position, if its steady, then its probably either a sticking air door or a bad seal. If the air moves around when you get on the gas, something is leaking.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was thinking about this post when I was in my car and sure enough mine does the same as Gadget's. Is there supposed to be any air coming out of the panel on various settings like floor, defrost, with the exception of hi/lo?
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I checked my Helms book and the EVTM. I have the ATC setup and they basically say to check for vacuum leaks, bad motors, and the in-line check valve. I know I don't have any hissing and the airflow doesn't change under acceleration, so I'm thinking perhaps the panel door motor is sticking or dead, or that check valve is bad. Does anyone know where the in-line check valve is located? The Helms book shows it between the vacuum tank and dash panel grommet but doesn't give any other info.
              sigpic
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

its on the firewall on the tree. one line from the soup can, one line into the dash, and a very short connector direct to the firewall vacuum tree. Its dead center behind the upper intake. It should be the only connector on there with a check valve.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a check soon and see if that turns out to be the problem and let you all know.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have had the vacuum switch go bad.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                    X