Gear shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear shift

I have a 93 Grand Marquis and i notice it seems like my gear ratios are off because it seems like my car doesnt stay in first long enough and second for a few seconds and drops to tha bottom of 3rd any1 else have the same problem?

How long do you want it to wind out to? I put a shift kit in to remedy that problem, but as long as your tranny fluid is nice and clean it doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for these cars.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

These cars have a tendency to upshift a lot. They were made to do that for better mileage. You can put in a shift kit and lower gears to help out with acceleration. Or you can be bold and do a T5 swap.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

T5 won't bolt up to the 4.6- he'd need a T45 from a Modular Mustang.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Well then do that.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

He could try pushing the pedal down harder, that will make it stay in any gear longer.....

Comment

Also it sounds like my gears may rub between shifts sumtime. Some one else who has a crown vic told me theirs does the same. It sounds like a grinding spinning sound when it moves betweens gears. Its this a problem wit tranny fluid or do i need a lighter or thicker oil weight what??

Comment

Try changing your fluid and see if that makes the noise go away.
                Nick
                88 Colony Park LS
                G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                X