J-mod dissapointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J-mod dissapointment

I am pleased with the 1-2 upshift. I am disappointed with the 2-3 upshift even with the new accumulator and minus the spring..... Still not as firm as I would like. Any ideas?
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

The major improvement will be at WOT. Did you drill out the seperator plate per the instructions? You might not be exhuasting the fluid (on the opposing side of the accumulator) fast enough thus not allowing it fill fast enough to create the improved shift. Before I switched to my 255/55R16 tires I could chirp 2-3 on occasion with only maybe 2/3rds of my mods in my sig list.

I installed 3 of these J-mods this year....mine, KingFisher2 on CVN and another in a backup trans I actually have in the for sale section. I know I was impressed and Kingfisher2 was happy with his. Did you keep track of what you drill out your seperator plate holes? If so, post your list. Another problem with the 2-3 accumulator setup is the 2-3 accumulator retainer. The retainer is the piece that more than likely popped out as soon as you dropped the valve body and dropped the accumulator and springs......and if this happened....did you get the right spring re-installed in the correct location? ie- the 2-3 bottom spring would be a different spring rate and thus would alter your shift if it was installed on top of the accumulator.
    1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
    TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

I followed the gear change drill specs as close as I could (.004" difference in drill bits is near impossible to find) and I did not install a spring with the 2-3 accumulator per the instructions listed in shifty business. At WOT I can chirp on the 1-2, haven't held it WOT long enough to get the 2-3 shift at WOT I'd be going almost 90 MPH
      "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

Find someone to burn you a custom chip, or get an SCT programmer unit to change the shift firmness electronically. I bet you will put a spring back in then. I think both the mod and the calibration change are INSANE. But do as you like. The torque required transfered to break traction from 2-3 is so high.....beware of your axles, transmission parts, just sounds like a bad idea for a 4000# car. Theres a shit load of stress there for a second when it happens.

Comment

I had the J-Mod installed and I was just as disappointed, except at WOT I could almost get a chirp from the 2-3 shift instead of the 1-2 shift. My 1-2 shift was a little firmer then stock but not what I expected. I ended up bringing it back to my tranny guy and he showed me exactly what he did. The Kit I purchased came with the Accumulator's,2 springs and a pre-drilled plate. He removed a spring to stiffen up the 1-2 shift and put in the new spring for the 2-3 shift as per the instructions that came with the kit.
          I called the guy who made the kit and he said that the Shift line pressure also has to be adjusted to get the most of the kit.
          He was right, After strapping my car to the dyno and installing a improved SCT shift program, I can now chirp second and sometimes third depending on the road.
          Get a tune and you'll love the J-mod

293 RWHP & 312 RWTQ
          Many Bolt-ons and Dyno Tuning

Comment

if you want to go "more firm" you should be able to drill out the plate to the next HP specs. Mine was somewhere between the "gear change" and 300-450 HP range. My trans has 106000 miles on it and counting. Still running REALLY strong. I also installed a trans cooler from B&M and a temp guage.
            1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
            TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Working...
            X