Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock

I'm thinking the car's developed a rod knock/lifter tap. Doesn't seem to do it at idle, cold or hot. Doesn't do it when I free rev. It only does it under a load at low RPM's, kick down to shift and it goes away.

it's common on 302's it will run a while like that........keep the oil clean and use a quart of lucas every oil change and you should be ok
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

:stupid: Yeah, my 231K 302 does it too. Just a sign of age.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

This is called what, just your regular "Lucas Oil Treatment" or something to that effect? Obviously it replaces a quart of oil.

Comment

I use RESTORE, and it works well. Just a little pricier, and almost removes my rod knock.

Comment

Re: Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock

Originally posted by Ifixyawata
            I'm thinking the car's developed a rod knock/lifter tap. Doesn't seem to do it at idle, cold or hot. Doesn't do it when I free rev. It only does it under a load at low RPM's, kick down to shift and it goes away.
            That is called detonation or ping. Buy premiun fuel or retard your timing.

Comment

RESTORE is teh win!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'll get my timing light out and check, but the timing is set at whatever it was at when I got the car... it did it then too, before I tore it apart. So teh timing light will decide whether it's off or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifixyawata
                  I'll get my timing light out and check, but the timing is set at whatever it was at when I got the car... it did it then too, before I tore it apart. So teh timing light will decide whether it's off or not.
                  It doesn't have to be off to ping. You could have carbon build-up also. Either way, the symptoms point to detonation, not a rod knock.

Comment

Yesterday I changed the oil. 1qt Rislone (reccomendation by a friend, I had bougut it before I posted this) and 4.5 of Chevron Supreme 10w-40 (previous owner's oil of choice). And now the rattle seems more prevalant. I just hope if it's detonation that it won't lead to a HG failure anytime soon.

Comment

it could also be a noisey air pump. A reman air pump from NAPA for $35 fixed my knocking noise.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Just remove the AC belt and see if the sound goes away.

If it does, then perhaps its what eric mentioned

Comment

we had to put 2 reman pumps on the lincoln and it still isent right. i have a ford one im gonna put on.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Those smog pumps often act up under load at low RPM only. :jumpin:

Comment

Have you switched to premium fuel yet? Wait until your tank gets low, or it will be diluted. Pulling the belt on the smog pump will definitely rule that out, but I really don't expect that to be it. I have to run premium in my car with its dying engine or it pings.

Comment

Working...
                              X