Pre-Prep on AOD replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Prep on AOD replacement

As the winter rolls on, and ThatOneGirl and I start talking about the upcomming Spring's projects, we come to the focal point, time and time again. Her AODE is SHOT. It does all the standard things, slipping into and out of gear, wobbles through gears. So the plan of attack is this. In the Spring (or sooner if it dies completely) we're gonna get a Jasper re-man for it. When we do, I'ld like to spruce it up a bit, without voiding Jasper's warranty. Would a 2800 Stall converter and/or a shift kit void it? At the same time I'ld like to do the rear-end gears as well. Y'all seem awfully fond of the 3.55 Trac-Locs.. is that fairly straightforward install? Or should I seek a guru? Will the different gears mess with the Speedo? As I said, this is pre-prep work, so Im not lookin for full concrete results just yet, but tryin to feel my way into the project.

The Admiral

A converter should not void the warrenty, unless the snout is bent and screws up the pump. Check with Jasper as to what the warrenty covers, they might require professional installation to keep the warrenty valid.

The gears are not difficult but require special care in their set up. You will need a different speedo gear but that is a 2 minute swap.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

jasper is garbage.......ask natehawk.........your not far from brian.....go see him......he works evenings m-f, his shop is near pottstown pa

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

AOD-e? In Matts old car. Nope. AOD. Changing gears does make the speedo off, but there is a speedometer gear on the trans cable that can be swapped to correct for the rear gear change.

Do what Scott says...Call Brian.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just wondering, who's Brian?
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

my transmission guru

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Was gonna ask the same question. Who's Brian. I have my own resident Auto-Guru who would be doin the tranny install, but Im willin to atleast confer elsewheres. Up till now, I hadn't heard a single negative word about Jasper's. I'm willing to go somewhere else, if the money/wuality is right.

Thanks again

The Admiral

Comment

I've always heard bad things about Jasper.

Comment

I've ridden in one Jasper AOD car, I was not impressed with what it felt like. Kind of like a worn out tranny minus the grease. In all honesty the virgin 125k mile never had it's fluid changed transmission from my Townie felt better before I caught it on fire. I have a Brian AOD in my car, and it shifts nice. He did the 4L60e in my S10 installed for $500 less than Jasper wanted for just the trans, and it works extremely well. Pretty much built me a brand new trans inside my old case. All the old parts were beyond salvation.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                    I've ridden in one Jasper AOD car, I was not impressed with what it felt like. Kind of like a worn out tranny minus the grease. In all honesty the virgin 125k mile never had it's fluid changed transmission from my Townie felt better before I caught it on fire. I have a Brian AOD in my car, and it shifts nice. He did the 4L60e in my S10 installed for $500 less than Jasper wanted for just the trans, and it works extremely well. Pretty much built me a brand new trans inside my old case. All the old parts were beyond salvation.
                    I've driven said car...pretty sad. Jasper trans died too and had to be replaced with very low milage on it. My burnt up stock 160K trans drove better!

Comment

So Jasper makes crappy transmissions. What about their engines?
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

My car is the sad Jasper Tranny car they talk about lol....Got a new one thou from jasper and this one shifts great. Im actually saying what the fuck and im going to void the warranty. Im going with a 2400 stall converter, A+servo, and Transgo AOD HP shift kit that will get that jasper tranny rolling great and Brian will be doing the installation for me.
                        The Best
                        Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

if you are interested in doing the rear gear swap, any questions about the set up, i can help you with and if you want a set of used gears out of my parents old marauder(3:55) i have a set....PM me if interested and i will get you a price. they only have about 49,000 miles on them, then we replaced them with some 4:10's which got destroyed in the wreck. I may also be able to get you a steal of a deal on a brand new ford posi unit. let me know if interested.

Comment

I sent $800 and a FRPP wide ratio gear set to Brian in PA to build me a trans and had Scott deliver and install it at Eric's (88grandmarq) place in Atlanta. Never met Brian until the following fall at Scottfest '05, and didnt meet Scott or Eric until I met them in ATL.

I put it through nearly a year of hell with the hopped up carb'd motor before a piston disintegrated. I now plan to use the trans behind the 408w this month which won't be a problem for it.

It's well worth the money to get one from him
                            Last edited by phayzer5; 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Justin, you need to get your car going so your big bad pro comp headed 408 can race this factory headed stock stroke 351.
                              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                              X