A 4.6 question or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 4.6 question or two.

I hope to get a 96-97 Vic in the not too distant future and I have some questions for yall who know a thing or two about em. First, what are the exact differences between Vic 4.6's and Stang GT 4.6's? How much of a power gain will a PI intake swap and Marauder airbox and Xcalibrator tune get? I figure i'll get one with the 2" dual exhaust and i'll probably get highflow cats and glasspacks for it. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much power i'd have in the end? Thanks for any input yall can give me.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

well, for starters. MOST of the difference between the stang engine and the vic/marquis 4.6 is in the programming. Engine internals are the same. Block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, cams, intake,......all the same. Mustangs come out ahead because of shorter exhaust system, lighter weight, and more aggressive computer tune.

PI Intake should net you approx 15-20
    PI cams should net you another 15-20

I beleive those figures are RWHP.

Marauder Airbox/MAF - 8 by itself(although requires a tune to function properly)
    Xcal 2 tune - 5-10 MAYBE Dynotune is the way to go really

Magnaflow direct fit cats and PI cams netted me over 3 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile. I still have yet to do another run after my latest PI intake swap. My SOTP meter indicates ALOT more pull......I would say right now with my complete mods list in my signature I should be at 270 to 280 HP at the crank. I recommend you also upgrade to 24lb fuel injectors with the cams,intake, Maf/Airbox, intake "ZIP" tube as well as a ported upper intake plenum and a 70mm throttle body. Upgrade your exhaust system to dual 2 1/4 pipes......what goes in must be able to come out.....even if you go 2 1/4 after the high flow cats. Or install shorty headers for a stang and then have custom downpipes with cats made out of 2 1/4. your call there. I should be losing my 2 inch system this summer to make way for a 2 1/4 system.
    1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
    TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Check out my supermotors site in my sig for pictures of work done!!!
      1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
      TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about the fuel injectors. How much to 24lb'ers usually go for? And is there a place where I can buy a ported PI intake? And how about that tune? Is that also gonna cost a pretty penny? Can I get it tuned like a Stang? Sorry about all these questions, but I know nothing about these engines and i'm lookin to build a low 15 second Vic here.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Instead of buying a tune, couldn't you just pull a computer from a mustang in a scrap yard and install it in the Panther? Just wondering, because I'd like to do some of these things in my car too.
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Oh, I thought of another question too. What would it take to get a non-hpp car up to that level as far as power is concerned? Because I'd at least like to do that.

:megadeth:
            Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
            Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Working...
            X